Use Photos to Make Greeting Cards

I have not bought a greeting card of any kind for more years than I can remember. How easy it is to make all kinds of beautiful cards with personalized photos from your own computer. Print Shop is the software I began with but I have used Print Artist for years. My grandchildren have made their own school alentines using this program. I can't remember the time they bought Valentine's cards for their friends. If you are a photography buff many of your very own photos can be easily inserted in your cards. And pick your own words or special quote to insert inside the card. When you are finished you will wonder why you ever spent money on those store bought cards.

Another good idea is making your own gifts. Friends enjoy handmade gifts much more than the store bought kind. When I was newly married I made gifts out of necessity, but I have kept up that tradition since, for over 40 years now. The list of patterns and ideas is endless if you search on Google or Yahoo. You don't have to spend any money for almost all of the good ideas out there. Try with a simple gift like a hand painted flower pot given with a pkg. of seeds tied to it with a beautiful bow. Go pick up that Christmas ribbon that is on sale now for next to nothing.

Truly, truly, you can save so much money now with going handmade; handmade cookie mixes in jars (yes, those recipes are out there for nothing too), hand made cards and sentimental notes, handmade everything (soap, hand creams, etc.) A little footwork will get you going with absolutely stunning and very satisfying rewards.

By Karen from Davis, CA

That's really a good idea.

It's a nice thing to make your own cards out of your own photos, but it is not frugal. You have to buy ink, paper, and a printer that does this and these items are costly. Not everyone has this equipment at their disposal. I see nothing wrong with purchasing greeting cards at 2/$1 from the dollar store.

I do like the idea of making gifts--very frugal and people appreciate the personal touch. I made an apron as a birthday gift for a friend and she was thrilled with it.

It's true that you have to buy the computer/printer/card stock/ink, but if you already have indulged yourself that luxury, it really is more fun to make greeting cards. They really say what you want them to say. Instead of spending time at the card aisle in the store trying to find the one that says something close to what you want, you could spend the time making one that expresses your feelings exactly. Plus, it's fun!! It is entertainment that serves two purposes.

So, those of you out there that have the computer and printer already, give it a try!! You might have fun!

I love making my own greeting cards and the recipients always tell me that they treasure them. I buy cardstock and envelopes cheaply from Wal-Mart and of course my printer and ink are there anyway.

To buy a really nice card is $4 or $5 a pop and I can make an exceptionally nice and personalized card much cheaper than that. I use photos,clip art, what ever is appropriate to the person and the occasion.

I also make my own greeting cards and use the Hallmark software often. It prints the Hallmark logo on the back of the card. To people who don't have the printer, etc. it could be expensive to start out. I just bought a new 3-in-one printer for $5o.00 included the ink. I wore my old one out. But if you do have these things, it can be very rewarding. I have a hard time trying to find just the right card with what I want to say, and if I find one close to it, it usually costs me $4.00 plus tax. The paper and envelopes do last a pretty long time if you buy them in packs, and I refill my own ink cartridges. I have had many compliments of the handmade, specialized cards I've given and it cost me next to nothing per card.

To OliveOyl, You're right about buying the cheap cards, but there's always something special about greeting cards that are truly personal such as one made with photos.

Handmade Christmas card.
Making Your Own Greeting Cards
Crafts Paper CardsFebruary 2, 2009
Greeting Cards
Donating Old Greeting Cards
Woman Making Greeting Cards With Children
Saving Money on Greeting Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
Making Fall Greeting Cards
Making Fall Birthday and Greeting Cards