Treating an Allergy in a Dog's Ear

I am looking for a home remedy for allergies in a dog's ear. His ear tends to itch and get red. Is there something I can do other than the panalog that the vet prescribed?

Karen

Check out earthclinic.com under the pets section. They might have some good ideas.....

The allergies aren't in the dog's ear. Your dog probably has allergies to something they're eating (EXTREMELY common in puppymilled and backyard bred dogs) that cause the dog to have natural reactions to allergies...swelling and itch. When the swelling affects the ear and the canals constrict just a tiny bit; the dog is uncomfortable and itchy.

They scratch for relief but that only increases the itch and swelling. As the canals constrict even more, bacteria and fingal infections develop.

First, keep the dog clean with a very mild hypoallergenic shampoo every few weeks. brush daily. Vacuum once a day where the dog usually hangs out and wash their bedding at least twice a week. Use hot water or put the bedding into a plactic bag and freeze for a few hours before washing to kill any mites. Small bed mites can aggravate a problem like this. This is not your main problem but a cheap and easy aid to help.

Looking for anything to relieve allergies in the dog's ear will be useless at best. You should be focusing on what you're feeding the dog. A good place to start is to eliminate all presesrvatives in the dog's food. It's not even expensive to do considering the price of quality dog food these days.

I'd skip table scraps since most people eat tons of junk that are loaded with preservatives. Keep to a natural preservative free diet and take notes on how the dog seems to do with whatever foods they're getting. Fine tune the diet from there.

The next thing to do is be vigilant about cleaning the dog's ears with an alcohol free ear cleanser. Alcohol free is necessary because dries out the ear and is very crying/irritating to any minor sores or newly starting infections...thus causing your dog to scratch and renewing the cycle.

Clean every 3-4 days or so depending on how well a better diet for the dog works and how you notice the dog behaving or scratching.

After doing all that (which really isn't bad at all), the panalog or similar is simply an antibiotic/antifungal preventative for the ear. You only use 1-2 drops every few days to keep back any possible infection before it gets into the bad cycle of scratch/swell/itch, etc. You can search the net for cheaper souces of the med but when all you're using is a drop or two once or twice a week; even the small tubes last you for many months. The small tubes usually only cost around $20 from the vet and there are cheaper sources on the net. That comes out to be pretty darned cheap!

Search for discount panalog and bypass the pet store websites because they are the most overpriced. Even I buy my dog meds on the net but from predominantly human med suppliers. I rarely even need a prescription.

My shizu had the same problem for over five years. I just put him on wellness brand food, whitefish and sweet potatoes and it is completely cleared. This poor dog has been on ear drops his whole life and switching his food is what finally worked. I had called the company and the CS. lady asked me if he had any allergy etc. I told her of his chronic ear infections and she said to try that specific formula. Its not made with any ingredients that dogs are typically allergic to. I would bet you money if you switch over to the white fish, sweet potato formula by wellness brand your dogs ears will be better! Good luck.

Dogs can get yeast infections in their ears. We had a Maltese that often would get it. It was diagnosed by a vet and they advised a weak solution of vinegar and lukewarm water and applied into the ear canal with a medicine dropper. I now have a hound who has had it a couple of times and I've treated it with the vinegar and water and it has helped.

My youngest dog has bad allergies. We witched to a food made without corn, this has helped a lot, but she still has problems, just like we do in the seasonal type. We use benadryl. 1 tablet for every 50lbs. Works like wonder and it will only be a few weeks, just like humans. Good luck, I know how bad they can feel with allergies.

If it is yeast, candida or allergies, like someone said earlier, try using a 10-15% vinegar & water. Swab the ear & drop inside. It itches more as it dries, but when dry, it will feel so much better. 1)5 would b 1tsp vinegar & 9tsp water. 15% would b 1-1/2 tsp & 8-1/2tsp. When it gets not so sore, you can use straight vinegar. Use white vinegar, it doesn't leave a residue.

go to http://doglinks.co.nz/health/Ear_treatment.htm It's called blue powder ear treatment. It works I have a poodle and they have a lot of problems.

I don't think it is an allergy at all. Sounds like ear mites which all my pets get from time to time. Take a cotton ball or two and swipe the inside of the dogs ear. If it comes out with some gross brown stuff on it...and it smells, it's ear mites. I have a homemade recipe that our vet gave us to make up and use at home. I will post the recipe tomorrow as I am not near the kitchen file at the moment and it is late at night! It works wonderful and it sure is much less expensive than the vets prescription. It is made up of boric acid, vinegar, and tea tree oil.

hey try ecualyptyse oil> spelling prob. wrong or use tee tree oil swap w/ cotton ball!

I recently started my dog on omega-3 fatty acids for this same condition. The omega-3's decrease inflammation. I do believe it is allergies in my dog. So far so good, she hasn't had any more problems for a few months now. This is a powder that I get at petsmart and sprinkle on her food. It was expensive about $20.00 for the bag but I only use 1/2 tsp. each day so it will last a long time. It needs to be kept in the frig because it will get rancid if left out.

TC in MO

My 12 year old chihuahua had a bad smell in his ear. After spending money at the local vet, nothing was helping. I tried oral antibiotics, creams, yogurt (temporarily helped) and ointments. I decided to change his food supply to a brand called 'Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Small Bites Dog Food'. After a week, the smell was completely gone and his yeast ear infection is gone!

I wanted to share this with many of you. Please Please, try this dog food. It is a bit more costly but you will see a difference in your dogs overall smell, appearance, energy, skin and shedding.

Also, my 7 year old German Shepherd eats the same formula and he doesn't stink even after coming in from the rain. He's not itching and his shedding has stopped. Let me note that I do brush him once a week with a furminator which helps out as well.

The Dog Food contains: *Glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints

*Antioxidant protection for a healthy immune system

*All natural fortified with vitamins and minerals

Don't give up and don't let your dog suffer the effects of smelly itchy ears anymore! I try to share this bit of information with as many dog lovers as I can. . The few extra dollars a month is so well worth it!!

Thanks, Donna

Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 27, 2009
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
Dog Eating Food From Bowl
Determining Pet's Food Allergy by Elimination Diet
Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
🎄