Stocking Up - Storing Dry Goods

Living in the country we try to keep a ready supply of food, especially when winter's coming. For more space to store foods we use new 5 gallon paint buckets cleaned and dried really well, then store our sugar, flour, oatmeal, dry milk, rice etc. in these stored under our raised bed. We add in about 5 oxygen pads for longer storage.

By Melanie

What is an oxygen pad? What does it do? Where do you buy them? I want to stay informed :>) !!

What are oxygen pads?

I have a very small house and was looking for somewhere to store my 'pantry' stocks too. I have had a purpose built cupboard put under the carport so I don't have to carry everything into the house - straight out of the car into the cupboard. Dried dog food and chicken feed lives out there too - in large green plastic rubbish bins with clip on lids. I spray the outside of the base of the bins with household surface insect spray which has stopped the ant problem I had initially. Food doesn't necessarily have to be stored in the kitchen - look around and immediately outside your house for convenient places. As long as everything is stored in airtight containers it won't attract vermin/insects, (I hope!)

Regards

Jo

What is an oxygen pad?

Even if you are storing your dry shelf goods such as rice, fllour and oatmeal you may still attract "weebbles". To prevent this from occuring place a bay leaf (dry) in the container along with the product.

Added tip: You can purchase Bay leaves in the "mexican aisle" of your supermarket cheaper.

Don't worry the Bay leaves won't change the flavor of the food. And don't forget to use them in the pancake mix too!

I think you mean Oxygen Tabs not pads, Look on Google to find out more information.

Storing Dry Goods
Storing Dry Goods
Food and Recipes StorageNovember 30, 2004
A hole in a pair of pantyhose.
Fixing a Run in Your Stockings
Making a Christmas Stocking
Making a Christmas Stocking
Dry Goods
Freezing Dry Goods
Crocheting a Stocking
Crocheting a Stocking
🎉
🎄