Chinese Fried Chicken

• 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 6 - 7 boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders)
  • Garlic powder to taste
  • Ad
  • Chinese five-spice powder to taste
  • Salt to taste
  • oil for frying - 2 to 3 inches in a wok

• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 pinches baking soda
  • 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup cold water

Wash chicken breasts. Cut crosswise 3 or 4 times to make small pieces. (I kept the meat pieces whole). Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, 5-spice powder (use sparingly) Make batter by combining flour with baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, salt and cold water. Whip with wire whisk to mix well. Heat oil in wok or fry pan to 400 degrees F. Dip the chicken pieces in flour then in batter. Deep fry until golden brown. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.

Note: Batter is also good for coating mushrooms, cauliflower, green beans etc., to be deep fried by same method. This is a tempura batter.

Source: This recipe was sent to me by a friend and is very tasty. It's a dish I'd make again and to also serve when having guests.

By Connie from Cotter, AR

Connie Thank you for the recipe. I started making my own tempura batter when I was nearly out one day by using the ingredients on the back of the box. It turned out great. After that I made my own: lot less expensive. Your has about the same ingredients, but with the measurements. My was hit and miss. Sometimes it missed. The chicken sounds good too. Glad to have you back. Love your recipes.

Fried Chicken on a Plate
Fried Chicken Tips And Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes PoultryAugust 11, 2008
Fried Chicken
Canning Fried Chicken
Fried chicken in paper bucket against a white background
Copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume