PaintingHome Improvement

Preparing to Paint

Category Painting

I have used a Dawn and water solution to remove the glue from a mural. It worked really well to remove the glue. But now as I am rinsing the wall with warm water I find I have lots of soap residue on the walls. Is it necessary to rinse until there is no more soap? Or can I let it dry and paint? Or is there something else I could do to remove the soap?

By Paula P from VA

Definitely! If you don't get all the soap off the walls, the paint won't adhere in those places.

Have you tied rinsing your walls with white vinegar - pure or diluted, preferably in warm water? Vinegar neutralizes soap.

If you are painting, an hour or two spent preparing the room will have huge a impact on the final result. Remove molding, outlet covers, and light fixtures so that they don't get paint on them. Anything that you can't remove, cover with plastic or masking tape. Your reward will be a much more attractive and professional looking paint job.

By Fisher

Answers:

Preparing to Paint

I just love painting, but, it is the prep work that I don't like at all. But, I totally agree with Fisher, take your time and do it right. You will be much happier with the end results! (06/29/2006)

By Persnickety Paula