Personalized Wrapping Paper and Gift Tags

There were a few years where money was very scarce, and I ran out of Christmas wrapping paper. I found white freezer paper, and made use of old Christmas cards and family pictures. I would also draw or paint on the packages. It was fun and creative, you can also add a poem or write something.

When I run out of Christmas labels now or just want to be creative, I will take a piece of the wrapping paper, cut it into a square, rectangle, or any shape and fold it over. I take pretty ribbon (wire ribbon works well), put a strip over the label, scissor a V at the end, and staple the top so it doesn't show, then put the name of the recipient inside the little card label. Makes a beautiful package and people enjoy the personalization as well.

By Anne from Dayton, OH

I have always taken my Xmas cards from the years before and cut them to make name tags for my gifts at Xmas. It has worked very well. You can fold it in half and write on the inside or just cut around the design and write on the front. Then use a paper punch to make a hole and attach to the gift with a ribbon. You'll always have plenty on hand.

I almost never make my own tags anymore because pretty store-bought ones are so cheap nowadays, but I made most of my own when I was growing up and for the first thirty years of my marriage. I made them from scraps of matching gift wrap, or harmonizing gift wrap, or greeting cards, or even the shiny lining of greeting card envelopes. I was very proud of the skills I had developed for reusing materials for creative gift wrapping - and it's nice to know I have those skills today in case I run out of tags or need something extra-special!

Homemade wrapping paper made with different colored handprints in paint.
Homemade Wrapping Paper
Crafts ChristmasDecember 5, 2007
brown paper gift wrap
Frugal Gift Wrapping Ideas
Making Reusable Gift Tags
Making Reusable Gift Tags
Homemade Luggage Tag With Pins
Homemade Luggage Tags
paper, scissors, tape, and other gift wrap supplies
Gift Wrapping Station Ideas