Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

I have an abundance of dried pinto beans. Any suggestions on how to use them?

By Lyn from Glenville, PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Anneamie12/26/2013

For the person in NY with the hard beans, know that I just learned that the water you make your beans in plays a HUGE part in the results of your recipe. I could not make a creamy bean recipe for years until a friend in OK asked me if we had "hard" water in Los Angeles and we sure do! I made a pot of beans using bottled water and for the first time in 27 years, I made the perfect, creamy pot of pinto beans that were just perfect in texture with a lovely, pink-milky "sauce" from the beans. I just bought a half gallon jug of water at the local market for about a dollar and it truly made a big difference.

I am seeking a tried and true recipe from anyone from Oklahoma or Texas for "Chili Beans." I am not seeking a recipe for your basic chili with beans but just pinto beans that are cooked with chili powder, bay leaves, some type of pork fat and whatever else may be in this old-fashioned recipe.

My husband's mother grew up in OK and my husband is trying to find a recipe close to what his mother made for his family. I've tried tons of recipes in the past and was just wondering if there is one ingredient that is common for this pot of simple "chili beans" that I don't know about yet. My husband either comments that the color of the beans either isn't right (not too dark enough) or that there's something missing.

Anyone have any suggestions or a great recipe stashed away that their grandmother wrote down? Help!

By Kathryen [5]10/07/2010

I make a huge pot of Pinto Beans at least once a week and then make chili w/beans the second day. I never soak Pintos. I start them in a pot with about three times the amount of water, two or three cloves of garlic depending on size and boil them hard and fast for about twenty to twenty-five minutes and then simmer until soft. I then add about a tablespoon of olive oil or creamy JIF peanut butter, salt and pepper and simmer an additional ten minutes or so. The next day I make chili and beans with them. We only like chili made with Gebhardt's Chili Powder and now that we live on the east coast where Gebhardt's is not carried, I either order Gebhardt's on Amazon or have friends or family bring me six of seven bottles when they visit from Texas or California. Think Gebhardt's might be carried everywhere West of Texas and Oklahoma.

I tried to make them in a crockpot one time only but they cooked up way too hard for our taste. We like them very soft. I think boiling them first on the stove and transferring to a crockpot after they are partially cooked might work better in a crockpot, but have yet to try it.

By Pat [11]10/05/2010

I love pinto beans, too. My method of cooking is to put them on in a big pot. Boil for about 10 min. Turn off heat and let sit about an hour. Drain, add new water, a pinch of baking soda and cook until done. I like onions and ham added when they are about done, along with a bit of garlic powder, bay leaf and/or other seasoning. The baking soda seems to prevent the gassiness. Never salt until the beans are cooked.
Pat

By Elaine [1]10/02/2010

For a lot of those kinds of beans, I make a bean dip. Just replace whatever bean for chickpeas. Also add to soups, a salad with the beans, a hard boiled egg, lettuce, tomatoes, maybe some tuna.

By Julia [136]09/28/2010

Consider yourself very lucky. Pinto beans are one of the most flavorful of all dried beans, and you can do almost anything with them. Cook them first with just a pinch of sugar which helps to tender them faster. NO SALT until they are completely tender as it hardens the centers.

Add bits of ham or ham hocks, or white salt bacon cut up in small pieces and black pepper. I add a dash of Tabasco or other hot sauce as well. You can add chopped celery, onion and garlic for a delicious soup to be eaten over rice or with cornbread.

If you want to make baked beans, just cook them in plain water with a bit of sugar until they are tender. Add salt to taste, and drain off some of the liquid if there is too much. Save it for soup to be eaten with potatoes cut up in it. Add whatever you normally would add to canned beans to make your baked beans, brown sugar, mustard, catsup, syrup, onion etc.

Cook them first, then drain most of the liquid off, mash them and use them as refried beans or in any kind of Tex-Mex recipe that calls for beans. Beans are so good for us, chock full of nutrition and when eaten with rice (brown preferably), they are a perfect protein.

If they cause stomach gas, it's because our systems are not used to processing that vegetable protein, but if you eat them regularly, your system will strengthen, and they don't cause discomfort after a little while. We grew up eating beans, rice, cornbread and a hot sweet tomato sauce that my mother made to spoon over the beans by the person eating them. It was very spicy hot, but so delicious, so I learned to like it very early on and tolerate the heat.

We ate everything with chopped onion sprinkled over the beans and rice, and fresh sliced tomatoes in season, and almost always freshly made coleslaw that was not sweet. Apple cider vinegar mixed with a bit of mayonnaise or sour cream was enough with salt and pepper. Just plain old home-cooked food at its best. Nothing fancy, but nourishing and very delicious.

Pookarina

By Robyn Fed [388]09/28/2010

What I do is keep a few and plant them outside, then I sort through the beans for rocks and then wash and rinse them. I then put them in a slow cooker or crock pot and put in water til they are covered. Usually at the end of the day they are done and ready to eat. I love them. Some people put ham in there to cook with it but I never do. If gas is a problem for eating them, then rinse them before serving in a colander.

I love eating bread dipped into the liquid they are cooked in too. I love crock pot beans!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Thank you in advance for any feedback given. I go to a local food bank for my canned goods etc. I don't normally dried beans. Does any one have a frugal recipe using dry pinto beans?

Thanks,
Sandy from Baltimore, MD

RE: Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Wash the pinto beans and pick any foreign material out of them (use a colander). Put the beans in a large bowl and fill with water; soak overnight; drain, put in a large pot and fill the pot to cover the pinto beans. Then add an onion, a clove of garlic, a piece of ham or bacon, bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer. Cover the pot and cook until beans are tender. Salt and pepper to taste after they are tender. You can also add jalepeno peppers at the end for a spicier taste. Serve with cornbread, smothered potatoes, a slice of onion or tomato....

A southern delicacy! We were raised on pinto beans and cornbread; and they are healthy for you! (03/15/2007)

By WandaJo

RE: Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

There is nothing like a pot of pinto beans made the classic way. It is great. But I like to change it up a bit, add a little zing to make it a meal. Follow the classic boiling recipe as detailed in the other comment, but when the beans get tender (in a skillet cook some breakfast sausage or ground beef) then add the cooked meat to the beans. Let it simmer to infuse the flavors for about 10-20 minutes depending on the amount that you are cooking. Meats that you can use are link sausage, like a kielbasa, ham, salt pork, ground beef. Serve it over rice or add a cornbread side. (03/15/2007)

By BB Cane

RE: Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Homemade refried beans are wonderful, with many recipes to be found online. With some cheese, and fresh salsa they are an economical meal. (03/15/2007)

By Sheryl Johnson

RE: Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Here's one to try:

• 4 1/2 c. washed pinto beans
  • 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 c. chopped onions
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tbsp. garlic
  • 3 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 3 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 1/4 tsp. oregano

Place beans and onions in a large pot and add water until covered by about 2 inches. Bring to a full boil, then reduce the heat and cook for about 2 hours or until the beans are soft. Add the spices and cook about 1 hour more, or until the juice has thickened. Makes about 12 cups. You will probably need to add more water as you're cooking so your beans will not dry out. You may also need to adjust your spices. (03/15/2007)

By Arizona Tigress

RE: Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Cook beans with 1 stalk celery and 1 onion, whole. Before serving remove onion and celery. For a different taste you can cook the beans and add 1 pound of hamburger or turkey burger and 1 can Rotel tomatoes for a nice dish. There are a variety of ways to spruce up dried beans. (03/18/2007)

By Diana

I have a 2lb bag of pinto beans and need some good recipes I can make with it. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!