Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

I have an abundance of dried pinto beans. Any suggestions on how to use them?

By Lyn from Glenville, PA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

What I do is keep a few and plant them outside, then I sort through the beans for rocks and then wash and rinse them. I then put them in a slow cooker or crock pot and put in water til they are covered. Usually at the end of the day they are done and ready to eat. I love them. Some people put ham in there to cook with it but I never do. If gas is a problem for eating them, then rinse them before serving in a colander.

I love eating bread dipped into the liquid they are cooked in too. I love crock pot beans!

Consider yourself very lucky. Pinto beans are one of the most flavorful of all dried beans, and you can do almost anything with them. Cook them first with just a pinch of sugar which helps to tender them faster. NO SALT until they are completely tender as it hardens the centers.

Add bits of ham or ham hocks, or white salt bacon cut up in small pieces and black pepper. I add a dash of Tabasco or other hot sauce as well. You can add chopped celery, onion and garlic for a delicious soup to be eaten over rice or with cornbread.

If you want to make baked beans, just cook them in plain water with a bit of sugar until they are tender. Add salt to taste, and drain off some of the liquid if there is too much. Save it for soup to be eaten with potatoes cut up in it. Add whatever you normally would add to canned beans to make your baked beans, brown sugar, mustard, catsup, syrup, onion etc.

Cook them first, then drain most of the liquid off, mash them and use them as refried beans or in any kind of Tex-Mex recipe that calls for beans. Beans are so good for us, chock full of nutrition and when eaten with rice (brown preferably), they are a perfect protein.

If they cause stomach gas, it's because our systems are not used to processing that vegetable protein, but if you eat them regularly, your system will strengthen, and they don't cause discomfort after a little while. We grew up eating beans, rice, cornbread and a hot sweet tomato sauce that my mother made to spoon over the beans by the person eating them. It was very spicy hot, but so delicious, so I learned to like it very early on and tolerate the heat.

We ate everything with chopped onion sprinkled over the beans and rice, and fresh sliced tomatoes in season, and almost always freshly made coleslaw that was not sweet. Apple cider vinegar mixed with a bit of mayonnaise or sour cream was enough with salt and pepper. Just plain old home-cooked food at its best. Nothing fancy, but nourishing and very delicious.

Pookarina

For a lot of those kinds of beans, I make a bean dip. Just replace whatever bean for chickpeas. Also add to soups, a salad with the beans, a hard boiled egg, lettuce, tomatoes, maybe some tuna.

I love pinto beans, too. My method of cooking is to put them on in a big pot. Boil for about 10 min. Turn off heat and let sit about an hour. Drain, add new water, a pinch of baking soda and cook until done. I like onions and ham added when they are about done, along with a bit of garlic powder, bay leaf and/or other seasoning. The baking soda seems to prevent the gassiness. Never salt until the beans are cooked.

Pat

I make a huge pot of Pinto Beans at least once a week and then make chili w/beans the second day. I never soak Pintos. I start them in a pot with about three times the amount of water, two or three cloves of garlic depending on size and boil them hard and fast for about twenty to twenty-five minutes and then simmer until soft. I then add about a tablespoon of olive oil or creamy JIF peanut butter, salt and pepper and simmer an additional ten minutes or so. The next day I make chili and beans with them. We only like chili made with Gebhardt's Chili Powder and now that we live on the east coast where Gebhardt's is not carried, I either order Gebhardt's on Amazon or have friends or family bring me six of seven bottles when they visit from Texas or California. Think Gebhardt's might be carried everywhere West of Texas and Oklahoma.

I tried to make them in a crockpot one time only but they cooked up way too hard for our taste. We like them very soft. I think boiling them first on the stove and transferring to a crockpot after they are partially cooked might work better in a crockpot, but have yet to try it.

For the person in NY with the hard beans, know that I just learned that the water you make your beans in plays a HUGE part in the results of your recipe. I could not make a creamy bean recipe for years until a friend in OK asked me if we had "hard" water in Los Angeles and we sure do! I made a pot of beans using bottled water and for the first time in 27 years, I made the perfect, creamy pot of pinto beans that were just perfect in texture with a lovely, pink-milky "sauce" from the beans. I just bought a half gallon jug of water at the local market for about a dollar and it truly made a big difference.

I am seeking a tried and true recipe from anyone from Oklahoma or Texas for "Chili Beans." I am not seeking a recipe for your basic chili with beans but just pinto beans that are cooked with chili powder, bay leaves, some type of pork fat and whatever else may be in this old-fashioned recipe.

My husband's mother grew up in OK and my husband is trying to find a recipe close to what his mother made for his family. I've tried tons of recipes in the past and was just wondering if there is one ingredient that is common for this pot of simple "chili beans" that I don't know about yet. My husband either comments that the color of the beans either isn't right (not too dark enough) or that there's something missing.

Anyone have any suggestions or a great recipe stashed away that their grandmother wrote down? Help!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

September 28, 2010 Flag

I have a 2lb bag of pinto beans and need some good recipes I can make with it. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Janice from IL

Answers:

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

This is one of my husband's favorites.

I cook about 3/4 cup dried beans to substitute for the canned beans.

Kielbasa and Red Beans:

• 16 ounces kielbasa or smoked sausage
  • 1 small onion -- sliced
  • 1 clove garlic -- minced
  • 1 can kidney beans or pinto beans
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 dash hot sauce

Saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes in olive oil or non-stick spray. Cut the smoked sausage links in half lengthwise and then slice. Add smoked sausage; stir and cook sausage for 2 minutes. Add beans, salsa, spices and hot sauce. Bring to just before boiling, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.

I like to cook up a big pot of beans and split them into can size portions (scant 2 cups) for the freezer so I always have cooked beans on hand. They defrost in minutes in the microwave if you freeze them flat in freezer bags. (01/08/2009)

By TraceyI

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

It's cold here this morning so I was thinking about soup and remembered this one. This is actually for black beans, but I just use pintos all the time since they are generally cheaper. This gets pretty thick, but just thin out with broth or water if needed.

Recipe calls for canned beans. If dried, use about 3/4 cup per can. If already cooked, use 5-6 cups. This freezes well. I like to serve as a side to pork quesadillas (made from leftover pulled pork).

Spicy Black Bean Soup:

• 1 medium onion -- finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic -- minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
  • 10 ounces tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel brand) -- slightly drained
  • 11 ounces canned yellow corn -- drained
  • 45 ounces canned black beans

Coat bottom of stockpot with nonstick spray or drizzle with olive oil, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft (about 5 minutes). Place one can of beans and half the broth in blender, add onion mixture,
    red pepper flakes and cumin. Blend til smooth, about 30 sec. Pour into stockpot. Add second can of beans and remaining broth in blender and blend until smooth. Add to stockpot.

Stir third can of beans, not pureed, tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into pot. Bring to boil, lower to medium and simmer 20-25 min. Stir frequently as it tends to stick a little to the bottom. (01/10/2009)

By TraceyI

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Thank you for the great ideas. Now I have to decide which one to choose first. I will be making something this weekend. (01/10/2009)

By jmz2005

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Go here and pig out! I have loved pinto beans all my life and eat them frequently. They have some great recipes here: http://www.usdrybeans.com/recipes/

YUM! (01/14/2009)

By susan matthews

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Here are two recipes I have used and people have loved them. These are for pies out of pinto beans. My advice would be to refrigerate them though.

Mock Pecan Pie:
    ~ a "pecan pie" with no pecans ~

• Pastry for a 9-inch pie
  • 1 cup cooked pinto beans, rinsed
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup margarine
  • 4 eggs, well beaten
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:
    1) Puree beans in blender until smooth, or mash the beans really well.
    2) Mix beans and other ingredients well.
    3) Pour into an unbaked pie crust.
    4) Bake at 375 degrees until center is set.

Mock Pumpkin Pie:
    ~ a "pumpkin pie" with no pumpkin ~

• Pastry for a 9-inch pie
  • 2 cups cooked pinto beans, well rinsed
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
  • 3 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 13-oz can evaporated milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:
    1)Puree beans and water in blender, or mash the beans really well then add and blend the water.
    3) Pour into an unbaked 9-inch pie crust.
    4) Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean. (01/14/2009)

By SarahAnn

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

My DH who does not like beans loves this!

Texas Ranch House Beans:

• 1 lb pintos
  • 1 c. chili sauce
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 lb bacon, cubed
  • 2 TB brown sugar, packed
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 qt beer (I used chicken broth)

Rinse and drain beans. Brown bacon, then add all ingredients. Pressure cook for 30 min. This could be done in a crock-pot or in the oven or stove top as well. Adjust times. (01/14/2009)

By Jeanette

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Use the crock pot for long, slow cooking. I have found it to be the most reliable.

WARNING! The older the beans, the longer they will take to cook (as in hours more)! (01/14/2009)

By cookwie

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

I love pinto beans. I am Hispanic so I eat them a lot. A good way to use your pinto beans is; just with plain white rice, pour the beans and juice over the rice and eat it with a side dish of fried chicken baked, or whatever meat you have. (01/15/2009)

By rosemarie

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

Cook them and add smoked ham hocks, or a nice ham bone. Yummy. I like them with white hominy, called Pozole. It's very good. (01/17/2009)

By meoowmom

Recipes Using Dried Pinto Beans

I love to see all of these new recipes for dried beans. We raise pinto and soy beans on our farm. (01/18/2009)

By auntie_lola

• Ad

January 7, 2009 Flag
    Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceSeptember 28, 2010
    Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
    Storing Green Beans
    Pinto Beans
    Canning Pinto Beans
    Pinto Beans on White Background
    Recipes Using Pinto Beans
    Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
    Freezing Pinto Beans
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 8:40:55 AM on 10.0.1.65 in 273 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.