Easy Yarn or Crochet Thread Holder

I cut a hole out of the top of a plastic milk jug, leaving the handle intact. A ball of yarn or crochet thread easily rolls around the clean inside of the jug while you knit or crochet. No more chasing balls across the floor or having the yarn/thread getting dirty as you use it! There is also enough room in the jug for your pattern and hook or needles when you have to set aside your project.

By Becky from Watertown, WI

To keep my yarn clean, I use the plastic containers that snacks (pretzels, cheese doodles, etc.) come in from the wholesale clubs such as BJ's or Sam's Club. I just clean the containers out and I have my husband drill about a 1/2 inch hole through the middle of the lid. All I have to do is unscrew the lid, pop in my skein of yarn and then run the yarn through the hole, then screw the top back on.

That is soooooooooooo clever! Thanks for this wonder tip.

Try using those clear plastic bread holders they already have holes on either end for finger holes. They expanded or shrink for the size of ball you use. Or try using old tobacco containers with a hole drilled in it on the lid. A pop bottle cut in halve works well too. The thread comes out of the pop top easily. Make sure you push the lower half in so the ball doesn't hang up on the cut edge.

A woman holding yarn.
Homemade Yarn Holder Ideas
Crafts MiscellaneousMarch 8, 2006
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread