FabricCleaning

Using Cloth Instead Of Diaper Wipes

Category Fabric

I want to use a cloth instead of a baby wipe to clean dirty bottoms. How should I wash them to disinfect them? Should they be washed alone?

Trish

They should be washed alone, and frequently. They should be washed in hot water with liquid Lysol (the directions will be on the bottle) or with a little bit of bleach added to the water prior to adding the cloths. Use either one or the other, don't mix bleach and Lysol!

Also, dry the cloths on the hottest setting available to further disinfect the cloths.

I would go a step further & wipe down my empty washer with a wet cloth (bleach water) after using the washer to clean the diaper cloths.

When my kids were little, I used cloth diapers and cloth wipes. I basically made small flannel squares that I serged around the edges. I kept the wipes in a small plastic container with a little water/baby oil mixture. I always felt like the addition of baby oil made the wipe just glide across their little behinds and left a nice little protective barrier.

I washed the wipes in the loads with the cloth diapers and laundered them similar to the method Dibbs (another poster) mentioned, except that I didn't wipe out the washer afterwater with bleach on a cloth - not a bad idea to do that, though, just to be extra careful. I had two containers of wipes going so that one would be all used up before I started using the other; that way, none of the wipes stayed in the water/oil mixture long enough to be an issue.

When we were traveling, I would just grab a couple of the wipes that were in the water/oil mixture and stick them in a really smaller, leak-proof plastic container or else in a zipper-top plastic bag. I hope that helps.

I also used cloth diapers, but I was lucky to have a diaper service. It was a gift from all my friends for a year! Was wonderful! Anyways. I used "handi wipes" I think they still sell these! I would put a bunch into a container with water and a smidgen of baby wash or shampoo. That way if they really got lucky, I could throw it away and not feel to bad. I like the idea of the baby oil too. You could also use "good" paper towels I suppose. Just my two cents!