FlooringHome Improvement

Pros and Cons of a Dark Colored Laminate Floor

We are getting laminate flooring and I would like a dark colour, but am wondering if anyone can tell me any pros or cons of having a dark colour floor. I am worried it will look too dark once totally installed. Will it show footprints too easily, anything?

By Jany from Canada

Hey Jany,

Dark flooring tends to be a bit more stylish, but I can think of more cons than pros to getting it. Dark flooring tends to make a room seem darker, and it also shows every speck of dirt and dust. Lighter flooring hides dirt better so you don't end up sweeping twice a day. It also brightens up a room, and hides scratches better. Maybe you could get something in between light and dark? Good luck!

Dark flooring makes the room look smaller. I love light flooring.

Personally, I wouldn't go dark. It will show dust and dirt quicker. I think it will make your rooms darker and seem smaller. Just my opinion, of course.

I like the look too, but decided against it in our home, which is small and an older home.

I do like the way they look though!

My son and his wife had black stained hardwood floors. Every bare footprint, every cat hair, every speck of dust showed.

(Submitted by email)

I love my Mannington dark laminate floor. It has so much detail and looks like an old school house wooden floor. I get many compliments on it. I must tell you that I hate cleaning it. It shows everything. I have a small dog and must vaccume everyday. Difficult to keep clean since you shouldn't use water. I have tried vinegar and water but it streaks at times. Boniva makes the floor look good but if you wet a paper towel and clean the floor it shows dirt.

So I use a swiffer vaccume and spray a mist of a mixture of water and a drop of dish soap Then I use a microfiber dry mop with alot of elbow grease for the shine. My neighbor has an oak floor and it cleans much better without all the fuss. My next floor will be lighter and probably not laminate.

Gerri