Fudgy Black Bean Brownies

contest winner icon
I've been using this healthy two-ingredient brownie recipe for two years now. It's full of protein, fiber, and it's absolutely delicious. It has an amazing fudgy texture to it, you won't get from making the brownies with the box directions. No one will EVER know there are beans inside!

• 1 box brownie mix
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans

Directions:

Open can of black beans, rinse well. Put beans back in can and add enough water to cover beans. Pour in blender or food processor and puree. Add puree to brownie mix, then bake according to package directions.

You DO NOT add the eggs or oil that the recipe calls for, JUST the black bean puree!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Attosa, I have to admit that at first I thought 'yucko' but when I thought further about it I thought 'brilliant'! One thing though, I have a horrible aversion to even the thought of black beans (perhaps that's why I originally thought yuck?) Do you think cannellini/white kidney beans would work as well? I am willing to give it a try if you think so. I do happen to have a brownie mix package and can of beans on hand.

P.S. Congratulations on your marriage! :-)

What size of brownie mix do you use? Please.

@bachish, standard regular size which is around 17-19oz, I believe. Not family size boxes.. just whatever is the usual size in the brownie box mix aisle ;) I will go buy another box today and report back if it's not around 17-19oz.

@Deeli, yes! try cannellini! it will be just as neutral as black beans. I only use black beans because they are dark and blend in well with the colour of the brownies. and thank you!!! so excited to be getting hitched!! ;)

**anyone who tries this recipe, be sure to puree those beans thoroughly! one time I rushed it and was not pleased with the 'bean skins' that weren't crushed all the way, haha! ;)

Just made these the other day after reading your post, thanks! Delicious! I didn't tell my husband the secret ingredient and he couldn't guess! I don't even think I pureed mine as much as they could have been. I didn't have brownie mix on hand so I used the allrecipes recipe below with half the sugar, no pecans, a little bit of water and < 1/4 cup egg white (because I fail at following recipes.) But they were pretty great.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brownie-mix-in-a-jar-ii/detail.aspx

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies BrowniesJune 8, 2011
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
black bean burger
Bean Burger Recipes
Brownies
Recipes Using Brownies
🎄
🍂