Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Stain Remover for Clothing

I recently had gotten cherry stains on a off-white cotton top. I tried many things and the stains did not come out. I finally found this recipe and soaked the shirt for 30 minutes and all the stains were removed. I would think this would work for all type of fruit and other natural stains.

My Oxy-clean

Ingredients

• 1 cup hot water
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide

Directions

Make this recipe as you need it. Do not save any for later use. Any leftover would lose its' potency over time.

Mix ingredients. Add clothes and soak for 20 minutes to overnight. Rinse; wash as usual. Makes 2 cups.

If possible, try to test an area of the clothing in case any discoloration occurs.

Source: A friend.

By mkymlp from NE PA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Babci4809/17/2009

An easier way of removing fruit stains is to boil water and pour it directly on the stain - removes it instantly. My daughter-in-law gave me this tip and it works great. It has to be boiling water; do not use hot tap water.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Tough Stain Removal For Clothing

I am in need of help in finding some kind of remedy that can get out tough stains. I work in a automotive place and I wear white uniform shirts. I usually get black marker stains, oil and rust stains on my shirt. I have tried oxyclean and it does not take it all out and I have tried orange clean and it does not take it out. Could you please help me?

Melissa Curry

Answers:
RE: Tough Stain Removal For Clothing 04/13/2005
At the twin club I belong to, several of the mamas were talking about this awesome concoction they used to get stains out of their kids' clothes that they put in the twin club garage sale. They all swear by it. It sounds like it might work for what you need!

Homemade stain remover:

Mix in a large tub:

• 1 c. Clorox 2 powder
  • 1 c. Cascade powder
  • 7 to 14 quarts HOT water

Soak clothes in mixture for 6 to 24 hours. This mixture may take out the color in dark items, so be careful! (/b)

By Laura N
"awesome stain remover" 04/15/2005
There is a no-name brand of stain remover that you can buy at Family Dollar. It is in a white spray bottle that says "awesome stain remover" on the bottle. Me and all of my friends (having 13 kids total) swear by it!
By noemoshunz
ElectroSol dishwasher detergent 04/15/2005
I gave up on Oxi-Clean for my own personal use. Didn't care for it, especially for the price! I was turned on to using Powdered ElectroSol dishwasher detergent by a friend of mine, and have never looked back. She told me it was very effective on grass stains, and infield dirt and boy was it ever! Just for a little extra help, I sometimes spray a little Shout on the stains, but a good pour of the powdered crystals into a washer for a presoak (I usually leave mine overnight) takes out everything I have had to deal with so far. I'm guessing its because of the degreasers and stuff in the detergent. It makes a world of difference with white baseball pants. Can't hurt to try it, if you're not getting the stains out now. Good luck!
By mrsmutt
Dry Dishwasher Detergent 05/17/2005
To get stains out of clothes, use some dry dishwasher detergent on the spots.
By Gail Crawford
Awesome 08/23/2005
There is a carpet cleaner from the dollar tree called Awesome and it got stains and ink out of my clothes!
By jacki O (Guest Post)
RE: Tough Stain Removal For Clothing 04/02/2006
The best stain remover that is out on the market is called Lestoil. Its smells pretty bad but even old stains will usually come out. Pour some on the stain and then I use a old toothbrush to rub it in. Walmart sometimes has it or here in Canada our Canadian tire stores carry it. This stuff really works.....
By Donna (Guest Post)

Archive: Homemade Stain Remover for Clothing

How do you make a stain remover at home. I am looking for step by step instructions?

Vvguggari from Karanataka-India

RE: Homemade Stain Remover for Clothing

This is a great stain remover. Personally, it has gotten out stains that were several years old in hand me down kids clothing. Pour Chlorox II powdered bleach into a small bowl and add just enough Dove dish detergent to make a gritty, runny paste. You will be able to feel the dish heat up. Spoon this mixture onto the stain and let it sit until it dries (It may take 2-3 days). Wash as usual. This has worked for me many times when all else has failed. The only problem is now I am having a hard time locating Dove dishwashing liquid at the grocery store. (09/14/2007)

By Kathy H.

RE: Homemade Stain Remover for Clothing

I use Clorox Oxy magic. Sometimes it takes a few applications and a lot of soaking. It got an enormous poop stain out of my newborn daughters outfit. You know how that is. I just kept spraying it every day, and it kept getting lighter and lighter until it finally disappeared. I can only find it at Family dollar and I think Dollar general. But it's NOT the same as Oxi clean. It usually works much better. I use it on my carpet too and it works great! (11/16/2007)

By Rachel

RE: Homemade Stain Remover for Clothing

I use WD-40 on my husbands Wranglers when he gets auto grease on them. It also works on sap after scrapping off the excess. I would test a corner of your shirt. I do think WD-40 has a color to it. After the grease comes out, rewash the shirts in just laundry soap before drying. I was told if you don't you might have a fire hazard with your dryer. (04/22/2008)

By Kimmylee

RE: Homemade Stain Remover for Clothing

For the 'best' homemade spot remover, combine equal parts of liquid dish soap, ammonia and water in a spray bottle, shake and spray spot. It's better than Shout or Spray and Wash! Don't like the smell of ammonia? Don't worry, the smell will dissipate. I make a large batch in an old bleach bottle and refill spray bottle as needed. (06/27/2008)

By Ess

RE: Homemade Stain Remover for Clothing

I tried the pre-spotter: 1 cup Dawn, 1 cup ammonia, 2 cups water. It works well, but if you leave it on clothes, it leaves an outline, but re-washing removed all outline marks. Overall, I think it worked well, but beware like advised on the posting, to wash immediately. Cheap stuff to make! (07/18/2008)

By Janette

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.