Browsing: Skinny German Shepherd

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Skinny German Shepherd

Having a very thin dog can be disturbing. Trying to determine the reason your pet won't gain weight is an important step toward getting your pet up to a healthy weight. This is a guide about a skinny German Shepherd.

Skinny German Shepherd Laying Down
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 19, 2015 Flag

I have a German Shepherd female dog. She is 5 months and she is 22 kgs. She is properly vaccinated and de wormed. I want her to put on weight, she eats properly, is very energetic, and very playful. She does not look skinny or thin, but I want her to look a bit more fat. Is it possible? If yes then how?

Skinny German Shepherd
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is typical for young, large breed dogs to look thin and gangly. They put the energy from their food into their growth.

Your dog is mainly just a puppy, and still too busy and energetic to eat more than she cares to.

You do not want to encourage your dog to "put on weight" now because any food habits your dog acquires now she will keep. That means if you feed her a lot of high-calorie food now she will keep eating that way and then when she is an adult she will be overweight.

Assuming you are feeding her a high quality food, the best thing to do is just wait. When she stops growing so fast she will start putting on the weight.

What Abigail A said is very true. Larger dogs take longer to mature and fill out. She'll put on weight in time - and then you'll have to watch that she doesn't gain too much weight!

October 30, 2013 Flag

My 1 year old female German Shepherd is gulping her food, but is thin. She ate a mouse weeks ago; is this the problem? She has been wormed.

By Sue

Have you considered talking to your Veterinarian?

Have you considered talking to your Veterinarian.?

http://upstateamc.com/Exocrine_pancreatic_insuffi.html

Check out this web site - my german shepherd eats a lot, has diarrhea and goes to the bathroom at least 3 times and day and sometimes can't hold it at night. She is very skinny so the vet is doing some blood work. No worms.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2016 Flag

Roxy turned nine back in September, but she has been awfully skinny for the past few years. Lately it seems worse than usually. She has long fur, so it's hard to tell unless you pet her. She's probably around 45 pounds. She hardly eats her food without us putting something in it to make her want to. And even since she was probably around three or four, she goes out to poop a lot.

Skinny German Shepherd

Is it actually normal for a dog of her weight to have to go poop four or five times a day, if not more? Yesterday she had diarrhea. She's going to the vet today at 11, so we're hoping for at least some result (although the there hasn't been in years). Do you guys have some weight gain tips for her or have anything I should have the vet check for?

Check her for worms.

Hmmm... She does seem underweight and I think she is going too often.

I assume you have tried a grain-free, soy free food for her to help rule out allergies.

Apparently German Shepherds are prone to Inflammatory Bowel Disease, so have them check for that.

http://insidethegermanshepherddogsw ... /inflammatory-bowel-disease-ibd.html

August 31, 2013 Flag

Dog sitting on dock.I have a 1 and a half year old male German Shepherd. He is right around 80 lbs, but seems small when compared to other male Shepherds or even the female we had before him.He doesn't seem to have that fluffy coat that makes them look fuller. Any suggestions on how to help him put on some healthy weight and muscle?

By S. DeRosia

The posted information regarding different country conformations are correct. Talk to the licensed breeder that is registered with the Canine Control in your country. Veterinarians are not Breed survey experts. In any case will it really matter what his appearance is unless you intend to show him (he must have pedigree papers). Just love this beautiful boy for who he is and the loyal companion this world wide breed will be to you.

My male German Shepherd is 10 years old and weighs 75 pounds. He just had a vet checkup today and is in great health. 80 pounds is not underweight. What does your vet say?

Ive had gsd's my whole life and even at 1 1/2 they're actually not fully developed they'll have their height but not their full weight potential they grow than out I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep feedind them and exercise they will bulk up before you know it and fast

Read More Answers...

December 1, 2009 Flag

I have a 7 year old German Shepherd mix. She is so skinny you can see her ribs and her back bone. We put food out for her, but she just won't eat. And when she does, she doesn't gain anything.

We took her to the vet for blood work; she has no worms, no cancer, and no parasites. She has diarrhea. I am afraid that I will lose her. We used to give her dry dog food. Now we switch food every day from meat to fish to pasta. She doesn't eat, she only rests. Please help me.

By Dakota from New York

Raw beef liver minced, I also give 2 ml of olive oil. I hope this helps.

I just want to give my own personal experience. And for the record, I am a vet, but not currently practicing. In any case, I ended up with a rescue German Shepherd with a severe megaesophagus (Sami) that he did really well with for about 6 months and suddenly began to lose weight. All other vets I talked to said his megaesophagus was incompatible with life and that was the reason, but I didn't think so since he had done well with it for so long. He'd always had a loose stool, but the weight loss was sudden and scarily severe. I tried supplementing him with pancreatic enzymes to trial treat and see if exocrine pancreate insufficiency (EPI) could be playing a role, but it didn't help at all. I was at a loss, and he was looking positively skeletal.

Then a friend of mine who is also a vet made a suggestion. She is from Germany, and she said she saw lots of GSDs with a similar problem in Germany, and the problem was responsive to doxycycline. Well, I was worried about the doxycycline because I was afraid that with the megaesophagus that Sami would have a hard time with nausea and esophagitis, but I finally tried it. This poor boy was skeletal, and had even become anemic.

Only other abnormality on blood work was white blood cells. Well, I tried the doxycycline at a dose of 50 mg twice daily... within a month he gained 15 pounds (he had gotten down to a mere 40 pounds, and he was a year old).

Now he is playing again, and acting like a happy boy, despite that megaesophagus that is "incompatible with life" according to every vet that ever saw his radiographs. My German vet friend said that she had seen many German Shepherds whose weight loss responded to doxycycline. She told me that after they gain weight, you can gradually try to wean them down until you find the lowest dose that allows them to maintain their weight. She said she had one dog that did great as long as he got doxycycline twice a week, but that he would lose weight if it was given any less frequently.

I haven't yet started weaning Sami down yet. It was only two months ago that I tried this, and the results have been so amazing that I am almost afraid to wean him down, but I also hate the idea of giving antibiotics all the time. Regardless, I have no doubt he would have died by now if I had not decided to take my friend's advice. Oh, and I even asked other vets, before I tried it, what they thought, and they all acted like it was a crazy idea because they had never heard of it and it didn't make sense to them.

Well, the whole reason I don't practice is because I have many special needs rescues, and many of them should have died years ago based on what the textbooks say. I have learned that given a chance and persistence, animal's do heal from things that supposedly shouldn't heal, and they do manage to live with conditions that are "incompatible with life." And I don't mean that they barely get by and it's almost cruel to keep them alive. I am referring to a cat paralyzed from the neck down that supposedly would never walk again (no deep pain in any limbs) and did, a cat with a heart problem that usually causes death within 3 months of diagnosis that is still alive and thriving 8 years later. That is just a sample.

Anyway, enough rambling, but the doxycycline is worth a try if you have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Of course, you have to find a vet that is willing to prescribe it, and that may be difficult if they have never seen such a condition, but they never will see such a condition respond if they never actually try it! I tried it, and it worked. If I saw the same condition again, and eliminated EPI as an option, I wouldn't hesitate to try this again. Oh, and I tried metronidazole, and even Clavamox, and neither of these medications did anything to remedy the weight loss!

Our 8 yr old male German Shephard stopped eating about 2 months ago. Our family has decreased in size due to death of both my parents, our son moved away after college, our family don't come by as often anymore. At first I thought it was anxiety or just missing the crowed and full house. But now it seems he sniffs anything in his bowl and just walks away. He went from a healthy 95 pounds to 77 from eating very little. Blood work, urinalisys and stool test all is ok. However his weight loss is a concern. Even X-rays reveal nothing of concern. It's expensive to do the tests. What can be affecting our boy?

Read More Answers...

August 20, 2015 Flag

My Shepherd just turned a year. He was the runt and has always been kind of small, even though everyone who sees him says "wow he is going to be a big boy". He is long and has always been on the slender side, but still looked healthy. He has had food allergies since he was a pup and it took me a long time to find a food he would not throw up. I recently changed from puppy to adult food and found something that seems OK, but over the last couple of months he looks too skinny. You can even see his ribs a little. He eats but not a lot. He is still very active and energetic, but it worries me. I tried adding some wet food to the dry and he threw up really badly, even acid, after he lost everything he ate that day. I am back to straight dry food, lamb and rice seems to sit well with him, but is there something else I can do or anything I should be concerned about? Please help. He is my baby and I don't want anything to happen to him. He is up to date on shots.

Just feed him what he can tolerate.

Dogs and cats are like humans- being overweight can shorten their lifespan, but eating a calorie-restricted diet can actually prolong life.

If someone thinks you aren't feeding him, just say he has food allergies and won't tolerate most foods.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 10, 2013
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
German Shepherd
German Shepherd - Breed Information and Photos
Caesar (Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Mix)
Siberian Husky - German Shepherd Mix Info and Photos
German Shepherd Mix
German Shepherd Mix Breed Information and Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:25:45 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.