SaucesCopycat

Substitute for La Choy Brown Gravy Sauce

LaChoy used to make a brown gravy sauce. It came in a small glass bottle. It had the consistency of dark molasses. It was great in a fried rice recipe given to me over 30 years ago. There was a substitute suggested by LaChoy. Can anyone help me?

By Sandra from Amesbury, MA

It is called Bead Molasses. I couldn't find it anywhere either. I went on-line and was able to order a number of bottles. Not sure how I found it. You might try going on-line and typing in LaChoy products or Oriental food. I really missed it too. It was worth getting even with the shipping expenses.

I've looked all over Muskegon, Michigan an I can't find it any where ... gravy not same without it .Amazon has it but you have to buy a case of 12 ....

If you look in the ethnic foods area of your grocery store, you can usually find seasoning packets for stir-fried rice. This will give you the seasonings and corn starch for thickening and you add the water. Probably very similar to what you bought in a bottle, but easier to package and less costly when you add the water.