Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

I am cleaning a big house. I have 2 bedrooms that I clean, 3 bathrooms, a big living room, kitchen, and dinning room. The client also wants me to do windows and there are times that I do laundry. He wants to pay me $200.00 a month and I clean it 2 times a week. It takes 4 hours each day. Is this enough?

By Cathy from Joaquin, TX

This website should give you an idea of what you should charge.

http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden/house-cleaning-service.html

You are making approximately $6.50 an hour, if I figured it right. I'd say you need more money.

You are doing a lot of work. You deserve a lot more money! It sounds like the person you clean for is really trying to take advantage of you. I've had that happen to me. Insist on more money. Your time is worth more.

If I figured it correctly you would be getting $25 a day, or $6.25 an hour. I make more than that babysitting.

That's $6.25/hr, that's ridiculous! I charge $15/hr to clean houses and no one has ever had a problem with it. I would come up with an hourly rate and tell him what it is. If he doesn't want to pay it, find a new client. He's not worth the trouble and doesn't appreciate your services. Good luck and be firm!

Actually, you would be making less than $6.25 an hour over a years time on this monthly payment plan! Get out a yearly calendar and you will see all of the months of the year which have more days than just four seven day weeks. By my calculations it turns out to be almost 4 extra weeks of work either free to him or about $5.75 per hour to you over a years time. Minimum Wage in Texas is $7.25 per hour!

I suggest you ask to be paid by the week based on eight hours per week and I think a 'minimum' fair rate would be $80.00 per week. He's not going to find anyone reliable who will do all the work he's asking you to do for less than that! Also, make sure he is the one supplying all of the cleaning products and equipment! Sincere Good Luck To You!

September 5, 2010 Flag

I lost my job 2 weeks ago and have been thinking of starting a cleaning business. I'm not sure what I should charge for this. I cleaned a friend's house, 1 bedroom, dining room, living room, hall, 1/2 bath, master bath, and stairs to 2nd floor.

I really scrubbed which included cleaning the baseboards, dishes, and dusting. She gave me $100.00 for all of this and it took me about 7 hours. Is this the going rate? Did she pay me too much? I'm very interested in finding out more. Thanks.

By Connie from St Peters, MO

Answers:

Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

From what I have heard, in South Dakota house cleaners start at $10.00 an hour. I don't know if they go higher than that or not. A lot will depend on where you live. Maybe if you call an employment agency they could tell you what the running fees would be. I would stick to calling a state run agency, instead of privately owned ones, because they will want you to sign up with them and let them find the clients for you. (01/28/2010)

By redhatterb

Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

House cleaning service (sometimes called maid service) varies in cost according to frequency of service, condition, and size of home. Prices are generally based either on the number of rooms, the square footage or by the hour.

Typical costs:

One-time cleaning of a 900-square foot two-bedroom apartment with five rooms, costs $74-$200. A 1,300 square-foot single-story home with seven rooms runs $95-$300. A 2,200 two-story three-bedroom home with nine rooms averages $149-$400.

Biweekly cleaning of the same five-room apartment costs $59-$124, the seven-room single-story home runs $79-$150, and the larger nine-room two-story home costs $104-$180. More Hands.com in Texas offers a website calculator to help determine cleaning costs according to the number and type of rooms.

What should be included: A typical regular cleaning includes vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing sinks, floors, countertops, and range hoods. Some services include loading the dishwasher and changing bed linen. Generally, a cleaning service will bring all the cleaning products and tools.

MaidPro in Boston, Massachusetts bundles cleaning into 3, 5 and 7-hour packages varying from $129 to $266 for a one-time service. Biweekly jobs take 2-3 hours per visit and run $50-$70. Rates vary greatly across the country, according to a MaidPro sales representative. In Boston there are many more apartments and smaller homes than in Texas where the average home is 3,000 square feet.

Additional costs: Major tasks like window and wall cleaning are generally not included.
Oven or refrigerator cleaning runs around $25. Dusting mini blinds averages $20.

Discounts: Signing up for more frequent service often means a discounted rate. Biweekly cleaning versus one-time means a savings of $50-$200, depending on the size of the home.

Shopping for house cleaning: Yahoo Local lets you look up local housecleaners in the directory.
When choosing to hire an individual through a classified ad or personal referral, the US Department of Labor website lists the regulations from hiring to taxes.

Tip: Before hiring a cleaning service, Good Housekeeping recommends asking the company for references and making any special cleaning requests upfront so workers will be prepared. good luck. (01/28/2010)

By kffrmw88

Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

I live in the same area as you (St. Charles) and I did a single woman's home, baths, dusting, floors, for $55 cash every two weeks, but it only took me about 3 hours at the most. You may want to charge more for an initial deep cleaning and then less for an every week or every other week cleaning. Also call Merry Maids and the Cleaning Authority (two local places) and ask for a price quote, or see if they have it on their website and then try to beat their price. Good luck! (02/03/2010)

By boomeyers

Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

I did a little simple math. You earned about $14.29/hour during those 7 hours of hard, thorough work. I'm sure your friend thought he or she was being generous, and if that rate satisfies you financially for the effort, fine. Otherwise, I'd charge about twice that for such thorough work, especially for people who aren't personal friends. (02/07/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

I clean houses also. I also do the deep cleaning that you did with this one. It just took you longer to do it than it will after you have more experience. For first time cleaning, I double what I normally charge, because of that deep cleaning. My basic charge is $30 per hour, after the initial cleaning. I normally do not tell my client how much that I charge by the hour. I go and look at the house and estimate how long it will take me and multiply that by $30, or $60, if it is a first time clean.

This much of a house should only have taken about 4 to 5 hours, even with the deep cleaning. As I said, the more you clean, the more efficient you will become. I just wish that I had started doing this years ago. I love working on my own and being able to set my own hours. I am as busy as I want to be and have had the same clientele, all from recommendations, for years. They are like family to me. Good luck, and don't give up!

Kathy from Richland, MS
(02/22/2010)

By msfixit17

January 28, 2010 Flag

How much should be charged for house cleaning for a 3 bedroom villa on Kiawah Island, SC?

Kristina from Kiawah Island, SC

Answers:

Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

Is this cleaning for a rental unit between tenants? or for mid-week housekeeping during a single stay?

The "owner clean" for my 3-bed, 3-bath rental villa on Kiawah is charged by the KI Golf Resort at $75 per occasion. (I suspect that I am getting a special rate since I am the owner.) I have known other 3-bedroom homes, which are privately rented, to charge up to $125 for cleaning between rental guests. (08/25/2008)

By Christie

Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

The going rate here in Southwest Florida is 30.00 per hour. (08/25/2008)

By Sharon

Pricing House Cleaning Jobs

In the Lehigh Valley in PA a cleaner should make between $30 and $40 and hour. (07/21/2009)

By mkeen25

A woman who owns a cleaning business.
Starting a Cleaning Business
Business and Legal BusinessSeptember 5, 2010
Cleaning a Gas Oven
Cleaning a Gas Oven
Woman Spring Cleaning Outside With Pressure Washer
Spring Cleaning (Outside Your House)
Scouring Pad
Saving Money on Scouring Pads
Rubber cleaning glove giving a thumbs up.
Homemade Cleaning Wipes
🎉
🎄