Heart Healthy Recipes

My brother is recovering from a heart attack. He had 100% blockage in right ventricle. I'm staying with him until he gets back on his feet. I'm looking for heart healthy recipes to prepare for him. Any other suggestions for him much appreciated also, thanks in advance.

By Peggy from San Antonio, TX

Hello Peggy. I don't know if this cookbook is still in print, but if not I'm guessing they have an updated version and that you could probably find it on the web. (Or maybe even a free web site, these days.) My cookbook is titled "The American Heart Association Cookbook" third edition, copyright 1979. I bought it in the mid 1980's after my dad had a heart attack.

Believe it or not, it has a lot of delicious recipes! Contrary to popular belief, eating healthier is not necessarily about giving up all the goodies, but more about moderating the "bad for you" ingredients and the obnoxious portion sizes. I'm certain you will find many recipes your brother will enjoy. Good luck and best wishes for you and your brother's good health! Take care.

The hospital and the doctor would not have sent him home without a diet. His instructions would have said for him to call the hospital dietitian after he was home to get menus. They don't leave this up to the patient. Have him call and make an appointment to speak with the dietitian and you go with him. His doctor's office will also have health heart diets to give him.

The American Heart Association cookbooks are excellent. There are several available now. My library has them , but they were so good I bought them. They are in paperback and not too expensive. Also once you get familiar with heart healthy cooking you can modify your old favorite recipes to be heart healthy in some cases. Good luck.

I found a recipe on thrifty fun a little while back called "italian vegetable stew" I've made it many times since. It's healthy, easy and absolutely delicious. Look for it in the "find" part. It's ideal for me since I'm a vegetarian, but I'm sure you could add chicken breast or something else to it if you wish.

Look here:

There is world of healing and great recipes + info on the vegan plant/starch diet which is what my husband and I are both on since his heart surgery in Oct 2010.

Fruits and Vegetables in Heart Shape
Eating For a Healthy Heart
Health & Beauty Weight LossJanuary 25, 2011
Christmas Heart Ornaments
Christmas Heart Ornaments
Heart Shaped Petal Flower
Heart Shaped Pin Crafts
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes