Cleaning Ziptop Plastic Bags

Washing those snack, sandwich, quart, and gallon plastic zippy freezer bags in the sink can make you wonder if the effort is really worth saving that money, but I have stumbled upon an easy way to continue being economical and "Green!"

Gather up all of your week's worth of freezer bags; turn each inside out gently. Put them into your washing machine on the warm, gentle cycle at whatever water level is warranted. Add 1/2 cup Borax 20 Mule Team laundry booster powder. Add 1 teaspoon bleach. At the end of the cycle, hang each upside-down with a clothespin to air-dry. Congratulate yourself on not ONLY being "Green", but on saving money and reducing your amount of garbage collection fees!

Source: Family Friend

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

Alaskan, I do the same thing, only I just wash them in my fresh dishwater and rinse. I hang them from the corner just like you do.

You are not considering the cost of water, soap, electricity, etc. I do not think you are saving money, only "being green".

I also wash my ziplock baggies, also from my sink. I do it after dinner, when I'm washing the rest of the dishes. I always have a large spoon, knife, or some large utensil and open them up and set them on the utensil, to air dry.

I'm not sure how sanitary that would be. A lot of things get washed in the washing machine. I wouldn't recommend it.

I also used to wash plastic Ziploc bags in the washing machine until one of the bags got caught up in the "drain" during the spin cycle. It cost me an expensive repair bill and some embarrassment to have the repair man fix my washing machine when it would no longer drain. I decided then that if the bags were too sticky or greasy to hand wash, it was not saving me any money to risk a repair bill. It's also never a good idea to wash out bags that have stored meat or other easily spoiled food.

Wow, never thought to put them in the washer. I have been washing and reusing Ziploc bags for years. I just wash and rinse them in the sink with the dishes. I have a small line on my screen porch and hang them to dry there. I find if I turn them inside out to dry, the inverted zipper holds the bag open and it drip dries in no time. I wash and dry plastic elasticized bowl covers (like shower caps) the same way. Glad to see I am not the only one hanging out my bags, lol.

God Bless,

Trish in CT

This sounds like a great idea. I've been hand-washing these baggies in the sink for years, this is much easier! I'll have to inspect the drain feature in my washing machine first though.

I also wash mine out but only if they have not been used for meat or if the contents were spoiled. Since I am handwashing and we don't use the dishwasher, I use the dishwasher as my drying rack. The dishwasher as a drying rack also works for my dishes and they are out of sight.

Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Photos OtherOctober 1, 2010
Zip Top Bag With Strawberries
Using Zip Top Bags
Organizing Plastic Bags, A blue plastic grocery bag.
Organizing Plastic Bags
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Two soldiers photographed fighting in WW II.
Did They Have Plastic Bags in WW II?