Transfer Soap to a Smaller Bottle

We live on a limited income, and shop at Dollar General stores often. There, we buy DG brand antibacterial soap for bathing. A 40 oz. bottle cost $2. I transfer part of the liquid soap into a 18 oz. dish liquid bottle when I get home. I use less soap because with arthritis in my hands, the bottle is easier to handle than the 40 oz. size. Dropping the bottle wastes a lot of soap from the larger bottle. Hope this idea helps others too.

By Signaler from Bellefontaine, Ohio

This is a good idea, and if you add some water, the soap will go a lot further.

I too have some arthritis in my thumb joints, and some days it's hard to hold on to that dish soap bottle. So I put dish soap in a liquid soap dispenser, the kind you just push down on the top, and that helps. When I broke my pretty ceramic dispenser this winter, I replaced it with a plastic one. I got both of them from Goodwill for $1 each.

for additional savings, i have found that if i save a few of the old empty bottles, i can successfully dilute the new dish soap with a slow trickle of hot water (so it doesn't foam up). just pour 1/3 - 1/4 of soap into the empty bottle and slowly fill with hot tap water. replace the cap and slowly rotate the bottle upside down, and then back upright several times to mix. this way i get 3 or 4 bottles of dish soap for the price of one; and it cleans just as well (only the soap solution is a bit runnier). you'll never know the difference. i also do this with shower gel, liquid hand soap ( i refill the foaming hand soap dispensers) and laundry detergent.

If you will put your soap into a pump bottle, for instance an empty Soft Soap pump container, it will be even easier to use. I get them at our local 99cent store and refill with less expensive stuff when they are empty.

If you will put your soap in a pump bottle it will be even easier to use. I use Soft Soap 7.5oz pump containers. I get them at our local 99cent store and refill with cheaper soap when they are empty.

Saving Money on Toiletries
Saving Money on Toiletries
Better Living Frugal Living TipsApril 12, 2007
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Transferring Liquids Into Smaller Containers
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄