Mushrooms on My Lawn

How might I eliminate mushrooms growing in my lawn?

By Susan from Omaha, NE

I also have mushrooms lately. My concern is will they hurt my dogs or cats. They use that side of the yard to do their morning business. I keep it clean everyday. But my pets do sniff around the area. They don't seem interested with the mushrooms, but could it cause any type of infections.

I asked that same question a few weeks ago of a great NPR radio garden talk show host for 'You Bet Your Garden'. We have mushrooms growing up in the yard because they are busy eating up the wood left in the roots of a big old maple tree that was destroyed in a storm and had to be cut down. He said that if you sprinkle wood ashes in the areas where the mushrooms grow the pH will be changed and they won't grow. Just use the ashes from a bonfire or fire pit or fireplace. It is a safe, nontoxic method that shouldn't hurt any animals or toads/frogs or birds, etc. This guy is really into organic safe gardening.

The mushrooms will go away by themselves when the rotting roots from the tree finish decomposing. They really pose no threat other than they are un-sightly. if you have a dog or cat they will leave them alone generally animals know instinctively what is good and bad for them.

June 30, 2011 Flag

How do I kill wild mushrooms in my lawn?

By Deb

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Generally, aerate and dry out the area. Remove branches that shade it, the source of the fungus growth, and reduce water levels. More here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5327466_rid-certain-area-rest-summer.html

September 10, 2010 Flag

For the first time, toadstools or mushrooms are growing in patches of the lawn. How do we get rid of them?

By SunshineGal from Central WA

Answers:

Mushrooms on My Lawn

These are called fairy rings. If you google that term, you will find lots of information. Apparently, it can really damage your lawn before you know it and they're difficult to get rid of, lots of digging involved. Good luck! (08/22/2009)

By trenea7

Mushrooms on My Lawn

Get a fungicide from a nursery or home center. Spray a week apart, I think. I used spray paint to mark where they were, because you have to spray enough to kill the spores. The paint eventually gets mowed off, but it stays long enough so you can do the whole area where they are at enough times. I've had these a few times, no digging involved. (08/31/2009)

By c t

Fairy rings are easy to get rid of if you don't let them get out of hand. A simple solution of water and dish soap sprayed over the area to saturate makes them be gone fast. Fairy rings are the easiest of the fungi to irradicate...

August 22, 2009 Flag

Q: I was wondering if I could get some information on how to remove mushrooms from my lawn, they seem to appear the past few years.

Thanks for the advice.

Wendola from Michigan

A: Wedonla,

Mushrooms appear after periods (or growing seasons) that are wetter than usual. It's actually not a bad sign, as it means your soil is full of wonderful organic matter for them to extract nutrients from. Unfortunately, if you don't like how they look, or you're afraid of them being mistakenly eaten, you can rake them up, but there is very little you can do to stop them from growing. The part you see above ground (the mushroom) is only the fruiting or reproductive structure of the fungi, which helps the plant reproduce by releasing spores from the gills underneath its cap. The majority of the plant's growth is actually underground. To keep the mushrooms from reaching the age where they release their spores, you can either pick them or dig them out to minimize their spreading. Keep in mind that if you compost them, the spores may eventually find their way back into your garden via the compost, so you might be better off just throwing them away. Due to their size, fairy rings (mushrooms growing in large circles) can complete with your lawn for nutrients and even cause damage. Maintaining an adequate level of nitrogen in your soil and watering your lawn deeply will ensure that it has the nutrients it needs to compete with the mushrooms. Mushrooms usually appear in cycles so don't worry, they will probably peter out and eventually disappear.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Mushrooms on My Lawn

Mushrooms show that you have great soil. (06/06/2006)

By Kat

Mushrooms on My Lawn

Seems in my research there is nothing you can do. Just pick them out each morning to prevent spreading and when the organic matter is gone they will go away. Looks like watering less may help as well. Good luck. (06/18/2006)

By Mike

Home and Garden Gardening LawnSeptember 10, 2010
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
🎉
🎄