Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

My Dog Won't Let Me Put Medicine in His Ears

I need help my dog has yeast infection in his ears. I have the medication to put in them, but he will not let us put it in. He weighs 100lbs. We got him held down once and now he will not let my husband near him. We tried a muzzle and he will not let me touch him now to put that on. We tried Benadryl, but it made him hyper, lol.

Help please, he needs this. His ears are so sore and red. He is making them bleed. The vets say to be the boss, well I don't want to be bitten and do not want to hurt him. He is a rescue dog from an abused home and I don't want that to come up to him again.

By Michele

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By vicki hood [4]02/23/2011

I see 2 good suggestions that are better than mine would have been. I only would add, nothing that stings, like some would put never ending vinegar in the ears. Please forget that one. I have, for years, done rescue dogs and on occasion have to treat ears. Best i have found is Malaseb. Clears up the most persistent infected ears. The ones with fungal, bacterial and even allergy related infections. Ear infections often caused by corn in their diet. No corn wheat or soy. No grocery aisle foods please. Research what common dog foods are made from. Things like rendered dead dogs and cats that have been euthanized with poison. Easy and cheaper to fix food at home. Google for health. No vaccines if you want to build immune system instead of destroying it. See vaclib.org. or other anti vaccine site. You will never get a true story from a pharmaceutical company. They want money, not truth. The parvo vaccine often gives parvo. Good thoughts for your baby fuzz. Glad you care.

By Myrna [13]02/23/2011

My advice is to sit beside the dog and talk to him while petting and massaging his ears. With both of you doing this, give the dog a body massage and one work on the ears as the dog slips into a relaxed mode and keep talking. Do not let the dog see the medicine bottle. You might get at least one ear done before he realizes what has been done. Dogs love attention and this should work everytime and be patient. Flip him to the other side and continue body massage until he is again relaxed. He'll soon learn it doesn't hurt and feels really good instead of frightful.

By Tahloolabelle [36]02/22/2011

Can you take your dog for a brisk walk and tire him out a bit? It seems like my dog feels it's a real bonding experience and is particularly docile for awhile. Everything needs to be ready to go for this sneak-attack beforehand. I would use his choker or spiked training collar for the walk, leave it on and then immediately have your husband straddle the dog, holding onto the collar and place his palm over the snout, pushing down while you administer the dose. Talk in a reassuring tone while you're doing all of this. It's not easy, I know. Then give him a lot of praise and some treats. A rescue dog has so many insecurities and this is just providing more anxiety. Please wear long sleeves to protect yourselves, too.

He will never like this, but he will condone it after awhile.
Bless you and your husband for taking in a rescue. You're both angels! Let us know how it works out.