Make Extra Pancakes and Freeze

contest winner icon

When I make a batch of pancakes or French toast, I double the recipe. I use the second batch to cook up, then cool them. I put the pancakes separately between squares of wax paper, stack them, and store them in a covered tupperware container and put in the freezer.

They can then be used on a busy morning by putting a few of them them into the microwave to heat. Even blueberry or apple pancakes taste wonderful. These can also be used for a snack or a quick dinner when schedules are tight. It is much less expensive than buying the ready-made in the frozen section of your supermarket!

I do this all the time so my 13 year old can have a good breakfast in the morning. I make sure that they are just the right size to pop into the toaster and he can easily heat them up! This idea works great for waffles, too! Yummy!

Be even more frugal and forgo the waxed paper. Freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet and then pack away!

I've also put pancakes in freezer bags and froze the bags flat. My kids love peanut butter sandwiches using the pancakes for a fast breakfast.

oh yes, this is definately a winning idea. I did this for my boys when they were young and I was working, but I wanted them to have a good breakfast quickly. I would cook for the week every sunday and pack all meals into the freezer. I used to store the pancakes in a gal. ziplock freezer bag w/ wax paper in between each. They would grab a couple onto their plates, nuke in the mic to heat and eat. I like the other idea about freezing on a cookie sheet first though. Thanks for sharing guys.

I froze ours without wax paper or freezing seperately first. We had no problem getting them to come apart. I did use just a little extra butter in the pan when cooking them- maybe that was why?.

I lay out a piece of plastic wrap, lay one down, flip it, add another, flip, add one more, flip and wrap the excess plastic around it That way DH gets 3 small pancakes for breakfast to heat up, and they do not get freezer burned. (A cheap $1.00 roll of plastic wrap lasts for months and months. Sure beats the fat laden ones they sell in the store.:-)