Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Tax Receipts for Thrift Store Donations

The sales person who gave me a receipt for donation in the thrift shop refused to put an amount on it if it worth less than $500. Now I have 3 receipts which indicate only number of shopping bags. What amount will I put as a TAX deduction?

Galina from NYC, NY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Daryl (Guest Post)02/25/2009

Your web page is great! We recently opened a thrift store at our church we have had many discussions about how to set up a tax deduction receipt for our customers are there any templates or examples you suggest that we could use?

By Haley (Guest Post)12/07/2007

I love to SHOP at thrift stores as well as donate. Does anyone know if the receipts from my PURCHASES are tax deductible as well (assuming that I am buying from a thrift store benefiting a charitable organization)?

Editor's Note: I think only cash donations and the cash value of clothing and other goods that are donated are deductible, not what you buy there. I could be wrong but that's the way I've always understood it.

By peggy. (Guest Post)09/05/2007

I donated a large ticket item wooden buffet and one clothes bag. I am now being examined by the IRS and the only thing I am concerned about is I can't find our receipt. What should I do?

By Kara (Guest Post)03/04/2007

Where can I get a program or list of thrift shop values so I can properly value my dontations?
Thanks

By Lynda (Guest Post)12/11/2006

We always attached an itemized list of what would be a reasonable and "customary" sale price in a local
garage sale, although, as I think about it, the higher deduction price would be to make reference to the Goodwill prices, who both repair and resell most ANY item, whereas, I learned that most OTHER charities literally discard all items that are not "showroom ready", they said. This is why I always give to Goodwill since they also provide jobs for the repairers and sell at reasonable prices most of the time. God bless you. : )

By HEATHER KNEEAND [14]12/04/2006

I WAS AT A LOCAL THRIFT STORE ON FRIDAY, AND THE MANAGER TOLD THE LADY THAT WAS DONATING TO ITEMIZE ALL HER DONATIONS THAT SHE WOULD BRING IN ON THE COMPUTER. THEN TO DOWNLOAD THAT LIST AND THEY WOULD THEN SIGN OFF ON IT. THIS WORKS TWO WAYS, ONE IS THAT THEY SHOULD NOT JUST SAY THAT THEY HAVE RECEIVED "A BAG OF CLOTHING" AND TWO YOU WILL HAVE A COPY ON YOUR COMPUTER TO KEEP TRACK FOR YOUR TAXES. GOOD LUCK

By Amy (Guest Post)12/04/2006

I always list out everything in my "Goodwill" bags before dropping them off at the store. Then when I get the reciept, I staple it to the list and place it in a tax folder for that year. As part of doing our taxes, I compile the worth of every item based on the lists, and store the lists with the tax records in the event of an audit. It may be a good idea to take pictures of items before donation. Also, I believe the Salvation Army website has values you can assign to donated items.

By (Guest Post)12/04/2006

The rule of thumb on donations to Goodwill and Salvation army is you give the price that it will be sold for as the deduction. So at Goodwill a pair of pants are priced at 5.99, then you can write off 5.99.

Good Luck

By Jill [4]12/03/2006

They're not allowed to put value on them. What we do, is itemize what is in the bags before we drop them off; then put a nominal value on for each item. I staple the receipt they give and the sheet where I have itemized the bags together for my records.

Like:

3 women's sweaters @ $3 each..........$9.00
3 pr. women's slacks @ $4 each.........$12.00
4 t-shirts @ $2 each..........................$8.00
6 girls' shirts @ $2 each....................$12.00
_______
$41.00

The values I use vary, depending on the type of clothes, etc.; and I probably tend to undervalue, compared to standards. I kind of go by what I would expect to get for them at a garage sale.

It is more work for us, but a good way to keep track.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Tax Receipts for Thrift Store Donations

I like to buy at thrift stores, and I also donate to them too. So what I have done is find ones that will give you a tax receipt for your donation. Every penny counts and what's the harm in asking.

Some Salvation Army stores will do it.

By PatriciaL

RE: Tax Receipts for Thrift Store Donations

All Goodwill stores or drop offs will give you a receipt each and every time you drop off any donations. I do this several times a year and it does all add up! (09/15/2005)

By Wanda

The Salvation Army store where I work does give tax receipts if you ask. Just remember you have to itemize your taxes to deduct the donation and your total donations to all charities have to come up to more than the standard deduction to make it worth itemizing. (I used to work for H&R Block.) (09/15/2005)

By Anna