Bulbs Not Blooming

My spring/summer bulbs have not flowered. There are plenty of leaves, but nothing else. The bulbs are, tulip and daffodils. Any suggestions?

By Frankie

Where are you located? Here in South Dakota things like that bloom at different times depending on what part of the state a person lives in. It could be you planted them too deep. Back in the early 70s my mother-in-law gave us starts for peonies and my husband insisted that they had to be planted really deep, so that is what we did, and the following spring they didn't do anything, they came up a little bit, but that is all and he was having a fit about that. Meanwhile I read an article telling how they should be planted, and I showed the article to my husband and of course in his mind the person that wrote the article didn't know anything. Anyway when fall arrived I dug the peonies up and replanted them according to the directions in the article, and the next spring we had gorgeous peonies, and my husband couldn't believe it. When we told his mother about it she agreed with me too.

If these bulbs were ever forced to bloom, they some times get blinded and the following years produce only leaves. People some times save the bulbs when they get a gift of potted flowers. These flowers have all been forced to bloom for a certain date. (Easter,Christmas, what ever the holiday may be)Also you have to be sure that your bulbs have had the proper amount of time where they rested(like over the winter).If they do not get this needed cold rest period, you will probably only get leaves. If these bulbs have bloomed the previous year, you should have left the leaves on until the sugar and starches have replenished the mother bulbs. Cutting off those leaves too soon is not good.

I live in Fla. and store Daffodil bulbs in my frig. for three months before I plant them in Fla. soil They bloom, but only once, but it still brings memories of my wonderful daffodils from CT. jjs West Palm Beach FL