Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Caring for Rubber Backed Throw Rugs

The way in which you dry throw rugs after laundering is vital to its longevity and usefulness. If you throw a rubber non-skid backed rug into the dryer, you will shorten its lifespan. Instead, plan on washing and air drying.

If the weather outside won't cooperate for line drying or "back deck bannister" drying, then shake the rug once or twice, turn the rubberized backing side up and place on the top of your dryer or washer to dry. The fabric portion of the rug will dry much faster than the rubberized portion, but if the rubberized side is down, it's not going to dry until air can get to it.

Do NOT place a rug on top of your dryer when in operation. I now have two matching rugs that are rubber backed and in excess of 10 years old, and there is no sign of deterioration yet because of the way I dry them.

By Ronsan

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Luann D. [5]01/16/2013

To tiltil - I did the same exact thing just a few days ago. My two long hallway and two smaller area rugs were very dirty - all of them had rubber backing. Without thinking the water in the washer would ever get hot enough to melt the rugs' backings, I made a huge miscalculation. The water took the rubber off in big chunks, leaving a mess in the washer.

Needless to say, I did not use the dryer after that, but threw the "rubber backless" rugs over the bathroom curtain rod to dry. The rugs came out very clean, and the rubber to hold them in place (which it did not do very well anyway), and are still useable and very clean! I will certainly make sure not do that with my bathroom rugs, which all are rubber-backed. Use cool water, and air dry them.

By Annette [10]10/06/2009

Also, I learned NOT to use bleach, it will eat the backing, so now use shelf lining paper.

By jean (Guest Post)08/27/2007

Peel/scrape /cut /pick off the old backing. Scraping with a spackling trowel or edge of a metal spatula may work. If you heat the rug in the dryer, the warm backing may be easier to remove. If the rugs slide on the floor, purchase nonslip rug padding at a "mart" store and place under the rugs. You could also glue/sew rubber canning jar ring to the bottoms of the rugs. Always air dry these types of rugs.

By tiltil (Guest Post)08/27/2007

OK--so I ruined the backs of my throw rugs by drying them in the dryer. Is there any way to get the hardened cracking rubber off? It just crumbles and leaves a mess wherever it goes, be it floor, washer or dryer. I shake them out and hope some day the now hard backing will all be gone, because the rug itself is still in good condition, and I'd like to keep using them. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.