Caring for Rubber Backed Throw Rugs

Air drying throw rugs after laundering can help maintain the rubber backing. This is a guide about caring for rubber backed throw rugs.

The way in which you dry throw rugs after laundering is vital to its longevity and usefulness. If you throw a rubber non-skid backed rug into the dryer, you will shorten its lifespan. Instead, plan on washing and air drying.

If the weather outside won't cooperate for line drying or "back deck bannister" drying, then shake the rug once or twice, turn the rubberized backing side up and place on the top of your dryer or washer to dry. The fabric portion of the rug will dry much faster than the rubberized portion, but if the rubberized side is down, it's not going to dry until air can get to it.

Do NOT place a rug on top of your dryer when in operation. I now have two matching rugs that are rubber backed and in excess of 10 years old, and there is no sign of deterioration yet because of the way I dry them.

By Ronsan

Top Comment

Remove the old backing. Scraping with a spackling trowel or edge of a metal spatula may work. If you heat the rug in the dryer, the warm backing may be easier to remove.

If the rugs slide on the floor, purchase non-slip rug padding at a store and place under the rugs. You could also glue/sew rubber canning jar rings to the bottoms of the rugs. Always air dry these types of rugs.

I had an old off white throw rug size 5x10 feet. I took 3 spray bottles. I filled one spray bottle with green RIT dye and a tablespoon of salt, and a tablespoon of laundry detergent. I then took another spray bottle and used RIT blue dye with the salt and laundry detergent. In the third bottle I used RIT brown dye and the salt and laundry detergent. I used a piece of wood 1 inch wide and a half inch thick and 6 feet long.

I did the stripes in the 3 different colors, alternating them so they worked: first brown, then blue, then green, and repeat. I did 10 inch lines, then 5 inch lines, then 10 inch lines, then 5 inch lines, using the brown, blue and green alternating them. The spray bottles makes the color of each strip even. I also labeled each bottle with the color so I didn't mix up the pattern.

By Beth from Cambridge, NY

Interesting, but what's the piece of wood for??