Are Walmart Great Value Products As Good as Name Brands?

Do you buy WalMart generic (Great Value) products? Have you found that's just as good as name brands? I just tried their peanut butter and found it to be just as good as the major brands. Some things I've been reluctant to try, but being the economy the way it is I'm having to really stretch my dollars.

By Betty

I use the WalMart brand of several items. I particularly like their grape jam (not jelly) which tastes just like Welch's. I've been using their brand of powdered dishwasher detergent for years. It works well for me. I also use their brand of dryer softener sheets. I cut them in thirds and get a lot of uses out of one small box.

Wallmart brands that I buy are their Great Value coffee and cranberry juice.

Also their laxatives and lubricant eye drops are good too. They have good cranberry capsules and fiber capsules.

You will find that store brands taste just as good as name brand, mostly because many of the store brands are made by the name brand company's suppliers and labelled for the stores. Not true of ALL store brands but it is for many. Always try a store brand before you judge it. Personally, the Food City brand orange juice tastes like watered down orange coolaide. >p

I believe GV coffee is made by Folgers. I do not buy generic jams/preserves, never use jelly. I almost always buy generic, with a few exceptions. One is Smuckers sugar free jam/preserves, best there is.

Their cereals are great! In fact, their Crunchy Raisin Bran is better than the orginal.

I use all sorts of Great Value products and love them. I use that brand of honey, coffee, diced tomatoes, jelly, pop tarts, dishwasher detergent, flour, brown sugar....I know I'm forgetting a lot. I don't know if there's anything Great Value that I've tried and didn't like and there is a savings. I had read that Peter Pan makes their peanut butter.

My son's science class did an experiment with paper towels, they found that the GV brand were most absorbent and least expensive!

The one thing I don't recommend is the mayonaise...it's runny!

Many store brands are name brand products with the store's label on them. Name brands have the perception of being of better quality and that simply is not so. A retailer like WalMart can ask a manufacturer to "private label" products because WalMart can purchase in such high volume, allowing the manufacturer to maintain profitability on the product. I buy store brands whenever possible. I work for a food broker ~ the middleman between the manufacturer and the retailer, so know what I'm talking about. :)

I also buy most of the Great Value brands and find I like most and some are better than the brand names. I do look at ingredients first to see what is in it before I buy it. There are only 1 or 2 products that I have not liked in the vast amount of items I have tried.

It depends on each individual thing you are buying. I use a lot of Great Value items. If it's one I haven't tried yet, then I get a small size of it and try it. Most times it's just as good (like one lady said, the same thing) as the name brand, but much cheaper. Once in a while I run across something that's not as good, in which case I go with another brand of that item.

For the most part though I'd have to say yes, Great Value brand is just as good as the more expensive name brands.

Just tried their juices this last week, the bottle is large, but the family didn't know the difference from V-8 for their vegetable juice, nor the white grape from Welches.

Walmart's Great Value brand of ice cream is just delicous. No artifical ingredients, flavorings or preservatives...just plan natural ice cream. Very happy that I discovered it.

I was concerned about the meat that Wal mart sell, while listening to a talk about meat regarding the shots that are given to the animals to fatten them. The speaker said that Wal mart would not buy any meat that had been treated with the injections. Hopefully they are keeping their word, as I am now buying a lot of my meat at Wal mart it is also quite a lot cheaper. Also their own brand of dishwasher powder is very good.

I use a lot of Great Value brands also. I believe their milk, like their meat, is also hormone-free. My kids & husband LOVE their bread, it's a soft, white bread comparable to Wonder brand (but I only indulge that occasionally ,they usually have to settle for whole grain!).

I think most of WalMart store brand is as good or better than the name brand stuff, Consumer Reports has even rated some of it higher-like the vitamins & I believe the fabric softener?

I recently tried their dishwasher soap & love it! The other brands are getting SO expensive & don't seem to work as well, but we have had a great result from the Great Value brand.

The only thing I won't buy is their canned fruit. It's disgustingly mushy & flavorless!

Please reread "SavingGrace's" comments as she is correct . . .

SavingGrace quote: "Many store brands are name brand products with the store's label on them. Name brands have the perception of being of better quality and that simply is not so. A retailer like WalMart can ask a manufacturer to "private label" products because WalMart can purchase in such high volume, allowing the manufacturer to maintain profitability on the product. I buy store brands whenever possible. I work for a food broker ~ the middleman between the manufacturer and the retailer, so know what I'm talking about. :)"

I've have retail work experience, so I know what I am talking about, too. Like SavingGrace stated, a company as large as WalMart has the ability (financial edge) to work with many different brand name companies and can negotiate a multitude of "private label" (Great Value, in WalMart's case) manufacturing deals.

That said, some items are as good as brand names, as they are brand names with private labels and if it's the actual brand name you prefer, and others are not (might be a private label, brand name that is not your favorite). As others have posted here, buy a small quantity first so you can "test it out" before you commit to a larger quantity purchase.

Compare labels; ingredient lists, (the order of ingestable ingredients matters as manufactures are required to list the highest content first, at least in the U.S.) and nutritional content. It's often difficult to compare items that are in tin cans, but with bottled, bagged, and boxed items, often, but not always, the store brand (private label) will be identical in size and shape to the name brand bottle, bag, or box. Again, compare the ingredient lists and nutritional content to make an educated guess.

In the over-the-counter medicine aisle of many large retail stores including WalMart, you'll find a lot more items that actually say "Compare this to (name brand) product" which gives you a heads up of what brand name product is being repackaged as a store "private label". Wish they would do the same on all food products (sigh) but 'tis not so!

As far as fresh meat, poultry, fish, produce, etc., goes, I'm guessing most of it depends on how locally grown the items are. The farther the products have to travel from the harvest source, chances are the less fresh they will be. No rocket science here, just good ole' common sense. Good luck finding the best bargains for your buck! :-)

Dollar General has a lot of good items, too, but I do not recommend their dishwasher tablets--they didn't clean at all and left a lot of the tablet residue on everything.

I firmly believe generic products in general are as good as name brand. The only exceptions I make are for Marie Calendar and Campbell's. Why pay more for a name? When I was sighted I compared my multivitamins and ibuprofen with the store brand, side-by-side, line by line. Generics may have a tiny bit more filler, but the active ingredients are the same.

I find most of the WalMart brand items are good. One thing to watch out for though. The popular Great Value items are sometimes priced higher than the brand name items. They are counting on you just grabbing the brand and not looking at the price. A WalMart cashier told me about this and I've found it to be true when I started looking.

The only generic brand I consistently do not like is Always Save, but Wal-Mart does not carry that. If you are near an Aldi store, they have great prices on most things and almost all their food is wonderful. I don't particularly care for their mayonnaise and their milk has started getting fat deposits near the lid. It wouldn't bother me, but when a teenage boy opens it, it becomes a "yuk" factor for him. It is wise to look at their prices as there are a couple of things one can get cheaper at Wal-Mart (eg., pistachio nuts). Good luck.

Many stores offer a "store brand as good as name brand" guarantee. They will give you your moner back if you dislike their store brand. Not sure if Walmart does-ask them. I know Costco, and Trader Joes will do so.

I can't believe that none of you posted the fact that a good portion of great value food tastes like cardboard. the key is finding the products that are simply repackaged brand name items. however, the toasted whole grain oats (cheerios) are horrifyingly bad. same with the "crisp rice". which reminds me that their white rice is terrible. sweetened condensed milk is a no go as well. yogurt, fuhgidabowdit! Some gv stuff is better. Lemonade, apple juice, frosted mini wheats, multigrain flakes, ranch dressing, fun topic! Oh yeah, word to the wise. never let your baby walk around in wallyworld brand diapers!

Generic and Name Brand Tomato Sauce
Choosing Between Generic and Name Brand
Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 27, 2011
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Woman Grocery Shopping
Who Makes Store Brands?
Parking Lot of Large Walmart
Saving Money at Walmart
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
🎉
🎄