Homemade Frozen Dinners

By Penny Stoehr 29 89

Whenever I cook a frozen dinner, I save the plates they were cooked in. Then, when I make meat loaf or roast or whatever, and veggie or mashed potatoes, I'll put the leftovers in individual portions in the saved frozen dinner plate and freeze.

Makes for quick meals if your strapped for time. Just pop in the microwave and voila. Your own homemade frozen dinner.

By Penny from Ipava, IL

Editor's Note: While freezing dinners in these trays is probably safe, reusing them more than once is not recommended by Food and Drug Administration. You probably should put the food in another microwave safe dish before reheating it. Here's some advice from a PDF titled "Reusing Food Packaging . Is it Safe?" that was published by the University of Illinois.

"Do not reuse microwave packages that contain "heat susceptors" for browning or crisping. The adhesives that hold the susceptor to the package may be damaged by the original use. The material is more likely to migrate into the food if it is used again."

You can download the PDF here: http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/FOODPACK.PDF

By Clynn Altemus 30 67 Flag

I used to make TV dinners all of the time, particularly around holiday time.

There were five of us and I would fix ham, turkey, and either duck or goose, white mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, beans, corn--actually enough for all of us for a week. I used the aluminum tv dinner trays, put the meat and vegetables in it and covered it with reynolds wrap.

I did not keep track of which was which, so it was fun when we were in a hurry because we always got a surprise meal.

Now I am alone and find it a lot of trouble to cook meals just for one, so I am back to making frozen tv dinners. The only difference is that most of the time I use microwavable plates and I do not do anything which must be browned on top.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Freezing Freezer MealsApril 28, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Make Your Own Frozen Pizza
Make Your Own Frozen Pizza
Two colors of frozen ravioli.
Freezing Cooked Pasta
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
pecan pie
Freezing Pecan Pie
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 5:48:17 PM on 10.0.2.206 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings