Buy Used Tuxedo Rather Than Renting

My son plays in several bands and is going to high school next year. With all of his performances and upcoming dances, we bought him a used tux at a local tux rental store. The store sells off their used tuxes at a great discount. My son is going to the school formal next week and he got a tux with jacket, shirt, 2 vests, pants, 3 bow ties, cuff links, and button covers for $101. That is almost as much as it would cost for one rental. The pants can be adjusted so he should get a good several years out of the tux. Check out the local tux rental store to buy a used tux.

By rjwilcox from Wilmington, NC

Hmm... interesting! Hubby said he used to have several tuxes, bet he never thought to buy used from a bridal shop.

A couple of the men's clothing stores in my area have been running ads on TV where you can buy a complete new tux with shirt and tie for just under $200.00. They also have the same special for a basic suit. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the ads because I don't know anybody that has the need for things like that. My oldest grandson rented a complete tux for $76.00. There would be absolutely no reason for him to own one. Also when it comes to buying used, not everybody can do that because of size. My grandson is 6'8" with a 34 inch waist and 40" inseam. As it was, in order for the jacket sleeves to be long enough the jacket was a little too big around. His 14 year old brother is 6'3", and their 22 year old sister is 6'. Their Dad is 6'8" and their Mother is 5'10". Buying used is a good deal when it works.

My son purchased a used tux for less than any of his friends who rented one!

That was for a girlfriend's prom. For his prom, we took a car load of young men to buy their own tux. The place we went was an outlet that specialized in selling used formal wear. Special sizes were no issue as the rentals need to fit everyone too! As far as only using it once, my son wore his black tux to church and a funeral. With a regular tie and vest, no one was any wiser.

A man wearing a tuxedo.
Saving Money on a Tuxedo
Parenting Teen AdviceJune 3, 2010
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Saving Money on Cufflinks
Saving Money on Cufflinks
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Belt on White Background
Craft Uses For Belts
🎄