Dog Won't Go Potty Outside in Cold Weather

My dog won't go to the bathroom if there is snow on the ground.

By Peter from Willingboro, NJ

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

When I was living at home, I'd shovel a path and a little area for my dog to do his business. I don't know how practical that would be for you, but perhaps it's an option.

Ditto with mrs.story about shoveling a path. It may not be convenient for you but it's doable and I know first hand from having lived sixteen previous Michigan winters with a resident seven pound poodle that it's better to make the effort to shovel rather than having the potty happen in your home. ;-)

My dog does this too. She can't stand to go potty in the snow, sleet or cold mud. Doesn't matter if we shovel a path or not, her 'footies' are still too cold & she doesn't want to squat-can't say I blame her! Lol! She can be pretty frustrating in the winter, a lot of times I'm the only one who can make her go,using my no-nonsense voice on her (she knows everyone else isn't serious), but she looks completely pitiful & abused the whole time!

We are just beginning to get the sleet here in Tulsa, from this big storm coming in, so I imagine she will have her legs crossed most of the next few days!

I'd like to know what to do too, because I have a 4 month old Catahoula/ Lab cross whom I had pretty well potty trained until the ground froze. Now she would rather poo in the bathroom and pee wherever. She has a spot over in some tall grass, but she has to cross our frozen driveway to get to it. There's something about frozen mud that she really doesn't like. I know its cold, but so is the rest of the ground. What do I do?

She's the one on the left, Louie is the one on the right.

Sorry its not an answer, but a concern. My 4 year-old toy poodle won't go potty in our new apartment. He always went on potty pad at our old house. He refuses to do it at the new place. Its really cold here, and when I walk him he barely moves. Most of the time, I have to carry him back, because he's shaking so bad. This isn't his first winter. Its just the first one he's refusing to use pads & hides when I try to get him outside.

Answer

Medium sized dog sitting inside of a glass door staring at the snow piled on the other side
Dog Won't Go to the Bathroom Outside in Bad Weather
Pets Dogs House TrainingJanuary 30, 2011
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Computer
Computer Won't Start in Cold Weather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:53:02 AM on 10.0.0.244 in 510 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.