Lettuce Soup

• 1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 4 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • pinch marjoram
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup skim milk

Directions:

Clean and dry lettuce. Remove tough stalks and chop leaves into long thin strips.

\Bring chicken stock to boil and add vegetables. Simmer about 10 minutes.

Add milk, lemon juice and seasonings.

Heat but do not boil. Serve immediately.

Source: A friend, Judy

By Raymonde G. from North Bay, Ontario

I found a lettuce soup recipe on the internet several years ago. It wasn't exactly the same recipe that you posted. But we really needed it at the time because our lettuce was growing like crazy in our garden. We couldn't eat it or share the excess with our neighbors fast enough. So I turned a lot of the lettuce into soup.

I thought it was so funny that this recipe came up today. Just last night, I was leafing through an Italian cookbook I have, called the Silver Spoon. It is supposed to be similar to the "Joy Of Cooking" in the US, everyone gets a copy sooner or later. There was a recipe for cream of lettuce soup, which I thought sounded a little strange but also good.

Thanks for the recipe!

I think romaine is underrated. One of the best things I've found to do with it is split the head in half the long way with the bottom still attached so it doesn't fall apart, sprinkly with olive oil, sea salt, and fresh pepper. Put it on a hot grill for 2 or 3 minutes a side until the edges are browned. Cut it up and serve as a side dish or use as the basis for a grilled Cesaer salad.

Lettuce Soup Recipes
Lettuce Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableMarch 25, 2009
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎄