CakesBaking

Have Kids Decorate Their Own Cakes

Our Grandchildren were visiting last week. I wanted to do something different for their party. This was the highlight of the party (the children attending were 2, 3, 5, 6 and 12 years old).

I made a plain yellow cake mix in a 9X13 inch pan. When it came time for cake, I had the children sit in a circle in the kitchen floor. Next, I cut each child a generous piece of cake.

I placed several cups of different kinds of frosting, candy and "sprinkles" and those sugar Happy Birthday-numbers and letters. Then I told the children to decorate their cake. They loved doing this and had a wonderful time. We were surprised at how wonderful each child's "decorated cake" turned out.

This was the hit of the party, even the 2 year old decorated her cake. Some of the frosting was lopped-sided but each cake was so very special. One of the little girls wouldn't eat her cake and insisted on taking it home so that she could go to her grandparents house and show and share her cake with them.

Why didn't I think of this when our children were growing up! If you try this I'm sure it will be as big of a hit at your house as it was with ours. So happy birthday all, enjoy your cake!

By Patsy B. from the Glorious state of Texas

I did this except I made three different flavors of cupcakes, chocolate, vanilla and lemon. The one layer jiffy kind. I bought two icings vanilla and chocolate, the kind that has a little sprinkles in the lid. I bought 2 icing colorings pink and blue. I took them to my neices house and let the girls decorate to their hearts content. They loved it and wanted everyone to eat certain ones that they decorated just for them. Much better idea than decorating myself, gave them something to take pride in and have fun with. In all I spent less than 10 dollars, it made 36 decorated cupcakes, much cheaper than buying them decorated and they loved it. Only regret, I forgot to take pictures, anyone doing this take pictures, this will be wonderful for everyone to see. And if you are thinking this would just be good for little kids, my neices are 11 and 13 and they loved it.

This year instead of a birthday cake for my 9 yr. old daughter's birthday I baked a batch each of chocolate and white cupcakes. Part of the party fun was having each child decorate their cupcakes with store bought icing and bulk store decorations!! What a blast they had. When they were all done, each child put a candle on their cupcake and formed a "circle cake" for the birthday girl to blow out her candles. Everyone then enjoyed their cupcakes without having the mess of plates etc. and leftovers went home with each child.

By Elaine

Answers:

Birthday Cupcake Idea for Kids

You can take a regular cupcake with white icing and get some licorice that pulls apart and make a baseball by using a couple pieces of the licorice. (06/19/2006)