Garden: Summer House

2 years ago we had to cut back a holly bush which had grown out of control. Unfortunately it just left bare branches so we decided to remove it altogether. In its place we've erected this summerhouse.

It is lovely in the summertime; I can sit and read without the sun blinding me or just enjoy my plants and watch the birds. I add potted plants, hanging baskets and bird houses on the veranda in the spring and summer. However, I think this is my favorite picture of the garden!

By Skinnyjinny from Scotland

Summer House To Replace Unsightly Bush

You wouldn't have had a bare ugly spot if you simply cut back the bush over the course of a year or two and allowed it time to fill in.

It's always good to check the best ways to prune anything before wrecking your garden because none of us really prune enough to remember it all.

What a beautiful place you have.

Re pruning. I spend time every year pruning etc but the holly bush had got out of hand before we bought the house. It was probably about 50 years old and we tried pruning it for several years before taking such a drastic step, but could never get it cut back far enough. It also had trunks like trees and was quite close to the neighbour's garden wall. I really don't like destroying things but couldn't think of any other way. I expect it would eventually have recovered but was going to take a long time and it did leave us with the best site for our summerhouse:-D

Photos GardenFebruary 19, 2009
Homemade Water Guns
Homemade Water Guns
Gladiolus
Growing Summer Blooming Bulbs
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 21, 2016 at 10:03:47 AM on 10.0.1.82 in 920 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.