Ayudame (Cat)

contest winner icon

Ayudame is a 1 year old cat. Our Labrador found a wild kitten on our property early one morning, bone thin, weak and mewing pitifully. Lulu circled the kitten with loving concern and threw into the air an unusual series of barks.

When I went out to check what was up, Lulu kept dashing looks at me as if asking, "Can we keep her, can we, can we?" We already had three cats, but what the hey. We named her Ayudame, Spanish for "help me".

We took her to the vet, no issues were found except needing some meat on her bones. Ayudame took care of that by guarding and gobbling her food like a king of the jungle, but that behavior continues to lessen as she learns to trust her next meal will be coming. Ayudame's coat is a dark gray, but when the sun shines on her the tips of her hairs shimmer in a silvery light show.

I offer two photos from when she joined our family and one photo of her a year later. She obviously needed to grow for those big ears to fit properly. Ayudame is crazy about our Jack Russell Terrier and is slowly winning shy Mimi over with endless applications of loving, walk-by rubs. Lulu, the lab, protects all of her cat children so much that if one meows about anything, I am immediately alerted.

We live on a ranch in Texas, about an hour's drive north of Mexico. There are so many cats and dogs, especially kittens and puppies, dumped in the countryside. It makes our hearts sad to think about the helpless and hopeless plights those animals go through.

By Susan from TX

Well, Auydame certainly has packed on the poundage. LOL What a cutie pie! :-)

Big difference in one year.

She's a very lucky girl! You and the dogs have huge hearts.

What a beautiful kitty girl. Your Lab deserves a Star of recognition for fantastic rescue service.

Thank you for sharing their wonderful story and great photos.

She has beautiful hair & eye coloring! Lucky little kitty!

My daughter had 3 strays (a momma & 2 kittens) show up at her house & she can't keep them or find homes for them, so she's going to have to take them to the pound which is a 'kill' place, wish they could find such good homes as yours!

Thank you for your feedback and thumbs up. I took her to my vet for a check over when she first showed up here. She was malnourished but free of other conditions. A few weeks later, she went to the vet again for motherhood prevention. I wanted that done for her in case she hit the road again one day, she was much of a feral spirit back then. She didn't need the burden of bearing litter after litter and this world wouldn't need her contribution to the cat population either. Turned out that her feral spirit had her wander off only once. I saw her climb the fence but she stayed on the other side of the fence and cried until she got our help to bring her back Home. She still snaps up food like she won't ever be fed again. She even steals the dog's dry food and they let her do it. She pops in and scarfs the other cats' food if they pause in eating from their dish. The other cats wander off when she does that, letting her have at it because they know another meal will come like clockwork. Hence Ayudame's hefty weight, God bless her for her survival instincts.

Pets Pet PagesJuly 6, 2011
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Girl with her has face painted like a black cat.
Making a Cat Costume