Faster And Less Painful Dog Nail Clipping

My dog is a large breed with very large and tough nails. This was a most unpleasant task until I discovered a Dremel tool! I used the larger grade sanding wheel for my dogs nail size and thickness. For less noise, I used the slowest speed. It was so much faster and not nearly as painful for my pet. I also didn't need to worry about causing bleeding by cutting too close or pinching the nail with the standard clippers for dogs. I also could regulate how much nail to file down at a time - dependent on my pet's patience level and mine at the time!

By Mastiffs

Apparently Dremel has even started making a nail grooming version:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/ourStore/tools-229122B0000C6DZ2.shtml

Great idea! Be careful to not let the nail overheat. My former nail tech used a rotary tool on my acrylic nails (gave them up a year ago) and had, on occasion, burned them. Unlike humans, dogs have feeling in their nails once you get down the nail a bit.

Our dogs haven't any fear of this method and it helps when they know a treat is waiting for them. Guest

I think every do-it-yourselfer should have a Dremel. Those tools are truely amazing. And buy the best one you can afford along with attatchments and you will never be sorry. You'll be amazed at the stuff you can do with these things!

One note of caution: don't use this on cats. If a cat's claws need clipping (rare, in my opinion) take that critter to the vet. I abhor declawing a cat, and the outer coating of their claws drops off from time to time. The cat will be fine without a manicure.

If you need helpful instructions go to http://www.DoberDawn.com

My wife and I just want to thank you all for the wonderful tips and feedback about using a Dremel tool for trimming dogs' nails.

Now that our "babies" are 14 years old and 12 years old, it has become increasingly difficult to trim their nails especially when they are not as active as they used to be. They would not allow us to use nail clippers so we resorted to using a metal nail file. They tolerated this method a little better but still, they would try to resist because it was such a slow process and very uncomfortable for them. As a result, their nails have become thicker and longer and of course, much more difficult to file down.

As soon as I read the tip about using a Dremel tool, I immediately jumped into the car, drove to our hardware store and bought this wonderful tool! In 15 minutes, our oldest dog's nails were beautifully trimmed! He resisted at first but soon relaxed and even nodded off to sleep while I filed his nails down.

We are both overjoyed at seeing the difference this has made for our Ninja and his comfort! As soon as I post this message, we will be filing down Bear's nails too which are not as bad as Ninja's were.

My wife and I thank you all again for posting such an excellent tip! And thank you, Thrifty Tips, for creating such a wonderful site where people can help each other by posting helpful advice and tips.

We highly recommend using the Dremel tool or similar product!

Pedi-cure best thing i ever used on my weim's nails since he is about the size of a horse and I can not hold him down. He relaxes when I use this on him. Love it.

Trimming Your Dog's Nails, A person using dog nail trimmers.
Trimming Your Dog's Nails
Pets GroomingNovember 18, 2004
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🎉
🎄