Until the day I almost burned my house down. The jar was so hot that the glass broke, and the burning wax began to burn my coffee table. But I still don't want to throw away that much wax.
So here's a tip that I came up with. When the candle begins to get low, put the candle in an oven safe baking pan that has about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. If the candle should break, the glass and wax will be contained within the baker and the water would immediately extinguish whatever fire may still be burning.
As a side note, if you would rather follow the directions, but still hate the thought of throwing that much wax away, take a knife and gently break up the remaining wax into small bits. Take some sort of mesh, like tulle, place the wax bits on top of the mesh and tie it up so that it looks like those wedding favors that are so popular. Or put them in closets, drawers, cabinets, etc for a lovely scent when you open the doors/drawers. Or save them to use for a wedding or baby shower or even a birthday.
By aprilcotton from Aurora, CO
Read feedback for this post below. Click here to post feedback.
I put the burnt down candle in the freezer and freeze it then I chip the wax out of it and put it in a wax melter,works as good a wax chips.
I save the small empty tea candles. When the scented candles are done I save them and buy wicks. At a later time, I melt the scented wax down and place the new wicks, cut short, into the tea candle holders and have scented small candles to place in small cut crystal jars to enjoy! I also use the warmers to place expensive scented candles out or no fragrance candles and add cinnamon, vanilla, cloves or other nice spices directly into the wax.
I never give candles as gifts, and I don't use them myself ever since this exact scenario happened in a local neighborhood. A candle burnt to the bottom, the glass broke, the curtains ignited, and the entire house burnt. The lady forgot about the candle. I can imagine this happens very easily, as one cannot babysit a candle from start to finish without distractions. Now, I use battery operated scented candles.
Thriftiness is important but not to the point of breaking glass and getting wax melting all over. Putting a water pan under it detracts from the atmosphere the candle is to make. The small jar candle can be recycled by putting a small candles in the middle of the jar. This works better and is safer. The little candles are relatively inexpensive and come in all scents to so one can match the scent with the original if that is desired. This method also works well in large candles such as cylinders and balls which end up with a "well" when they burn. Put a smaller candle in the well to continue using the candle and have atmosphere.
I also hate wasting the wax left in the jar. But, I am very Leary of fires so I purchased one of the candle heaters. Now after the wax gets down I set the jar on that and it gives off the scent but controls the heat. Much safer.
For those of you who have fireplaces, or fire pits, take the empty cardboard rolls from toilet paper or paper towels, pack them with dryer lint, and dip them in melted wax and let dry. They make great fire starters or mini fire logs.
Loved your tips! I hate wasting all the left over wax. You Go Girl! Thanks for taking the time to pass it on. Hugs.
What I have always done, was put the whole candle holder into very hot soapy water. When the water has cooled enough for you to put your hands in, the remaining of the candle will slide out easily!
It must be the brand of candle because I don't have a problem with left over wax. My candles burn all the way down. I love candles even thou tarts are becoming very popular in my area. With tarts you have a cord and I like being able to put my candle where there is no plug in. I also like to see the flame.
These tips from Aprilcotton are dangerous!
Instead, use either a mug warmer, or even better a candle warmer ($5 at Wal Mart, may find it cheaper elsewhere) to use up the last of the wax. I don't even light my candles. I put them on a candle warmer and they last for many months. I have some on now that I've had for over a year and they still smell nice.
And so much safer than melting on the stove or using a knife to break up in the jar.
We have a wood burner to help lower heating costs on really cold days. We fill paper egg cartons with pine needles and dryer lint then pour melted candle wax into the carton. After the wax sets up, I cut the sections of the carton apart and use them for fire starters. Every bit of the candle is used!
Putting the candle into the freezer for a while makes it much easier to get out the small bit of wax that's left after the wick is all burned up. Save all the bits and pieces, put them into something else with a wick and you have a new candle at no cost, except for your time and a new wick.
Another way to use all the wax is to put the candle, unlit, on a coffee mug warmer. It will still smell nice.
While this may sound like an ad. I'm really just trying to help. Mia Bella candles from Scent-Sations are made from all natural ingredients and burn totally clean on the sides to the end. No wasted wax. Since I began burning these I find I save so much money just in the wax I don't have to throw away.
When burning a candle on my mantle, it is in a rather old, deep Pyrex dish. When it burns too low, I let it sit for a few days, use my Mom's OLD paring knife, chip out wax, put new wick in another glass jar and when close to full, add one square of fragrance [Michael's store - 99¢ for 4 squares], put on a cup warmer [as one would have on your office desk to keep coffee hot], keep it in the room I'm in and let all blend.
In the spring or summer, you can also leave them out in the sun for the wax to soften, and it's easier to get the wax out. Then get another wick, put the wax in a smaller container, and you have a new candle! :-)
Add your voice to the conversation.