Affordable Christmas Gifts for Large Family

Every year I struggle with how I can somehow give something affordable, but of value, to my growing family of 11 grands (+4 spouses) and 4 great-grands. It's gotten to the point recently that financially I'm stretched so thin and far that I'm exhausted and pained by the whole process, to the point that the giving seems trite and meaningless.

Over the years I have accumulated considerable heritage info, including family recipes and limited family tree info, that I intend, at least eventually, to pass on to the family. I would like to do something with this, but at this time I am dealing with some medical issues that do not let me throw myself as fully into this project as I want to. But I can do a piece or two of that, if I can figure that out.

Please give me your ideas about what I might be able to put together in time for this coming Christmas to give as gifts/tokens/keepsakes to my grands (ages 13 to 31) to bless them, if not now so much, then later. (My background is in technical writing and publication, so I'm thinking something in the arena of written material.) In addition, it has occurred to me, that if my energy allows it, I can also bake a favorite heritage bread for them, and somehow present the recipe (their great-grandmother's) in a keepsake manner.

I look forward to your ideas.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Family recipe book is an excellent idea for each person or for each family, as energy allows. Baked good also, as you are able.

Good Luck!!!

I agree that the book is excellent. There was a book published by Clara Cannucciari about cooking during the Depression. What made the book so special was that she had a story to go with each recipe, as well as pictures. She also has YouTube videos. She passed away a few years ago.

I have a large extended family also but I usually just make nice cards for the adults and concentrate on gifts for the grandchildren. I try to keep a list of names and likes and dislikes for each one so all during the year when I see something at a thrift store, Dollar Tree (some much loved gifts were purchased here), or just on a good sale, I purchase these and put them away for birthdays, Christmas or some special day.

This practice has always worked well for me and can be adapted to any family size. Some of my older children and grandchildren also like a particular plant and this is in a field that I love so their presents are always easy. Maybe one or more of your extended family would like something like this - even if purchased small and placed in an inexpensive container/cup/vase.
My daughter-in-law has a large family and she always gathers different "collectible" tin containers each year to hold her different homemade cookies. She gathers "cookie" ingredients several months before the holiday and plans on baking cookies for several days before the event. This can be very tiring so not everyone can do this but it seems that everyone always want to open her gifts first. As an aside, her family many times gives her money to help pay for their gift (as most everyone knows - everything is expensive no matter the product) so they feel they are receiving her gift of time and love.

i would suggest you think about what kind of things your grands like and try to adapt something to their liking. Most likely the same thing will not have the same meaning to a 13 year old as it might have to a 31 year old.
it is good that you are thinking this far ahead as you still have time to think and prepare or plan something special for each one.