Baby's First Christmas Ornament Ideas

Category Tree
There are many special ways to create a keepsake for your child. This guide is contains baby's first Christmas ornament ideas.

We had our first child in August. Christmas came the next day (it felt like it!) I had saved the baby shower cards and ribbon from the gifts. So I got creative like I always do and decorated my tree.

I cut the little pictures from the cards, the bunnies, bears, babies toys, blocks, etc. and glued them on the ribbons to make garland. I hung the babies first pair of shoes and toys on the tree as well. I made bows from crape ribbon.

By Laurie S. from West Covina, CA

When my first granddaughter was born I wanted to make a special ornament for her that would last and not break. I bought a set of children's ABC blocks and screwed a small eye hook into the top of each one.

I wrote her name and the date and tied a ribbon on each one. I used red and white striped ribbon since her name is Candace! She is 13 now and we still have the whole set - which I hang on my tree. Someday I will pass them on to her. I've given many sets as gifts for Baby's first Christmas over the years.

By charlene from Chino Hills, CA

I have 5 new babies that were born to friends and family this year and I want to make a special "1st Christmas" ornament for all of them. There are 4 boys and 1 girl. Any ideas? I'm fairly crafty and willing to try any type of craft.

Amy from Murfreesboro, TN

Answers

You can get some enamel paints and paint personalized "Baby's (or the name) First Christmas" on them. You can use any glass ornaments, either clear or colored. Just be sure the paints are enamels, and you wipe well with alcohol before painting to remove any oils and ensure paint adhesion.
Another idea is to take a photo, print it on regular paper, and roll it up inside a flat round ornament, use a pencil or chopstick to position, and personalize on the back.
Adding a ribbon hanger or a beaded hanger is a nice addition.
If you knit or crochet, make a little animal or stocking with the child's name and first Christmas.
You can sew some up, too...stockings, balls, gingerbread shapes, and personalize.

By Linda (Guest Post)

Here is what I did for my first grand daughter. I bought the clear balls. Copied her birth certificate and shrank it. I diluted glue with water and coated the insdie of the glass. Then cut the small copy of her birth cert. in a circle. Roll the certificate and insert it inside the glass ball. I took a long chop stick type thing and opened it and smoothed it on the inside of the ball. You can see if there are any bubbles in it from the outside.

Just work them to the edges. Let dry. Put another light coat of glue around inside the ball and sprinkle (very lightly glitter) not covering the whole inside. Then I took curling ribbon (pink) and stuffed it inside the ball, replaced the top of the ornament and found some small ribbon that said babys first (in pink letters) and used it to hang the ornament. Everyone seemed to love it. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. Experimenting is half the fun. :)

If it were me, I'd buy those clear plastic or glass ornaments that you can put photos in & put a newborn picture of the baby inside & on the back of the picture paint a snowman & write out 2008 & "Their mane" then the words "first Christmas"... Example "Mary's first Christmas - 2008". Then top the ornament off with either a pink or a blue bow.

I'm sure that ANY "first Christmas" ornaments you make them will totally thrill them, but, everyone loves pictures of newborn faces & this type of ornament would be especially wonderful! Make sure you crop the picture so their face is big & there's practically no background showing.

I'd ask the husband or a friend to get you these pictures, so the surprise would be greater when the gift is from you. If you can't get any newborn pictures, than any of their baby pictures would do. Be sure to make copies of the original photo, this way you won't have to use the original & you can enlarge them or crop them to your liking.

---> A second, & maybe even better idea would be to use fimo dough & make a hand or foot print pressed into the fimo dough of the baby at the size they are in December near Christmas... This way as they grow, they'll have something that they can compare to the size they are each Christmas. & don't forget the bow on the top & their name & "2008" "Babies first Christmas" on the back. You could use a paint pen.

Cute ideas!

By Naomi (Guest Post)

A great way to capture their first christmas is by taking the babies photo and making it into an ornament. I have see this done with an angel shape and the photo of the babies face cut into a circle and stuck on the head of the angel shape. Then laminate the shape and cut the laminate down to leave a small boarder around the shape.

Punch a hole in the laminated edge and add ribbon to hang on the tree. I have also seen a similar thing done with a star shape and the babies photo placed in the midle of the star. You could also decorate the shape and write things on it like the year, child's name, First christmas. Do all decorating before laminating.

Decopodge their Birth announcement on a used CD or I save those metal discs from different food containers.They already have a"built in ring"hanger. Don't forget to sign and date all your labors of love. Years from now they'll know who it came from.