Bridal Shower Gift Ideas

Choosing just the right gift for an upcoming bridal shower can be difficult, there are so many possibilities. This is a guide about bridal shower gift ideas.

When going to a wedding shower, I purchase two sets of booties. I nicely wrap 1 blue bootie and 1 pink bootie. I wrap the 2 booties and put a note in the box. I do not sign the card. The note reads something like this.

Will it be a boy, or
Will it be a girl?
Invite me to your baby
Shower and you will get
The 2nd bootie at that time.

- Anonymous

I have even gone to another city and had it mailed to the address on the RSVP, just so the bride has no idea where it came from. Hard to keep it a secret, but it gets everyone wondering "who sent it". That really throws everyone off.

By Cathy from Plainfield, IL

This is adorable! If the bride is a good friend, you will know what household items to use in creating your custom-made Kitchen Maid. And today, some couples have joint wedding showers, so you can also build a Kitchen Mate for the husband-to-be. Here's how:

Instructions:

1. Begin with an ironing board to be the body of the Maid or Mate.
  2. Tie an apron with pockets around the middle to make a waist. Fill them with smaller kitchen items, utensils or tools.
  3. Attach a plunger on one side of the back of the ironing board as an arm and a toilet bowl brush or feather duster as the other arm.
  4. Add a dustpan at the wide end of the ironing board for feet or set the ironing board on top of a vacuum and bind with several elastic cords under the apron (as we did in the photo).
  5. Secure a string mop as the head of hair to the back of the ironing board with the mop portion flopped over the top narrow end of the ironing board.
  6. Create a face with nylon net scrubbies for the eyes, a small sponge for the nose and a nailbrush for the mouth.

Use your imagination to make this an amusing, but useful, addition to the wedding shower party. Just remember to make the Kitchen Maid or Mate with anything you think the bride or groom will need for their new life together.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Do you need a last minute bridal shower or wedding gift and don't have much cash? For the cost of a pack of index cards you can write or print out all of your favorite recipes and start a recipe collection for your person of honor.

Wrap them with a ribbon or you could go further and buy a recipe box with dividers. If you don't have time to write out more than one or two recipes, you could buy a baking dish and enclose one or two recipes they could make and bake in that dish that you gave them.

By Tawnda

Buy a nice basket or ceramic jar and fill it full of all sorts of kitchen cooking utensils. I had someone do this for me and I appreciated it so much. There are all sorts of different utensils you need that you never think about. Some ideas are cheese graters, tea ball, lots of cooking spoons, spatula's, melon baller, bacon press, etc.

By Mythi from Silverdale, WA

If you're having a hard time thinking of a shower gift for the bride-to-be, a good present might be a gift wrapping center. Get one of those tall storage containers for the long roll wrap, add some bows, scissors, tape, etc. By June S.

I am looking for some unique bridesmaid's gifts. Does anyone have any ideas? The ages of everyone in the bridal party is 17-26. There are four girls. Do people normally give the maid of honor a slightly better gift? How does this work? Thanks!

Dana from Omaha, NE

Answers

Hi Dana. I made each of my BM's their own tote bag in my wedding colors. Inside I put a bridemaid survival kit. Clear nail polish, mirror, bobby pins, kleenex, chapstick, sewing kit, etc. I made each BM a handkerchief with their initial embroidered on it. I also provided each with the jewelry & shoes for the wedding. (they were $10 walmart shoes) They all used the bags on the wedding day, and I kept the pattern neutral enough to be used for daily needs. For my MOH, her and I went for manicure/pedicures at a local beauty school, I paid for hers. I think the cost for each gift was under $20. (dollar store & ebay!)

I didn't want to give the traditional jewelry, so I decided to give nice robes. I found some really pretty chinese-style robes on ebay.

A really meaningful gift for your wedding party would be a personal scrapbook or photo album of your friendship. Nothing is nicer, more personal and worthy of a keepsake. It will only cost you the price of the note book or the album and of course, your time - but worth every penny!

Hi Dana. I purchase some beatuiful freshwater pearl bracelets, which had a dangling sterling sliver heart from JcPenny. They were about $20. I had each ones engraved. Everyone loved it.

Charm bracelet, charms chosen for each persons unique taste or hobby or profession etc.

I bought my bridesmaids a jewelry set to wear and a tote bag (just $5!) embroidered with their monogram. I paid about $25 each and used the bag as the gift wrap with tissue paper poking out of the top.

I hope that this isn't straying too far from the subject but Try this site with plenty of
great gift ideas for bridal shower http://www.say-  hower-gifts.html as well as general gift advice http://www.say-  /gift-guide.html

I bought a beautiful charming multi gems gold bracelet for my sister who is my maid-of-honor and bracelet watches from Guess for my two bridesmaids.

http://www.part  ng-planning.html

Have you ever checked out sammoon.com? They have some amazing jewelry and accessary ideas. They have cute necklaces - some are only $5.95 each!! Or look at their luggage. A makeup case is about $6.95. Very inexpensive but very elegant!

I am a wedding florist. I often suggest a beautiful vase that the attendants can use to place their bouquets in on the head table during the reception. It makes a nice keepsake, and isn't something you would buy for yourself.

My gift to my bridesmaids? I'm paying for their dresses (and, if I can afford it, hair and makeup on the day) ... they appreciate not having to spend cash on dresses they're never wearing again!

After looking around and reading your posts, I think I am going to give them a tote bag with their name on it and either put some spa stuff or like a bridesmaid survival kit in there or possibly both, depends on money. I also got them their jewelry for the wedding day and an interest free loan on their dresses and shoes. I couldn't afford to completely cover the cost of their dresses but could loan them the money. Thanks for all the posts. If there are any other ideas, please feel free to post. I don't need these until the beginning of next year so I might change my mind between now and then. I am trying to stay ahead of myself to keep my sanity. :)

Is it customary to buy a gift for both the Bridal Shower and the wedding? Also, if so, do I get both gifts from the Bridal registry list?

DJ4JC from Washington, IN

Answers

Yes, it is customary to buy a gift from the bridal registry for the wedding shower. For the wedding itself, a monetary gift is usually the norm. (for our area, Bucks County, PA that is at least $100)

If you can't afford 2 gifts, give 1. If you can afford a gift from the registry fine, if you can't see if another invited guest will go in on it with you. $100 is outrageous unless you're the parents of the couple or a close family member. You shouldn't give up your own wants or needs to give too much for a gift. We've been married over 20 years and some of our favorite gifts turned out to be items not on our "list".

If you are invited to the shower and the wedding, you need to buy a gift for both events. It is customary to buy them from the registry or you can give money for the wedding gift.

Yes, it's customary to give to both. And no, the register is just a suggestion. It'll give you an idea of the bride and groom's wants, colors, etc. The gift giver ultimately decides what he/she wants to give. Often several individuals chip in what they can afford to give a nice or monetary gift. More is spent on the wedding than the shower gift usually. Amount is dictated by the area you live in and varies greatly. Don't go over what you can afford though. Where I live, $100 is extremely generous and rarely given, even by the family (except for parents or grandparents) for the wedding.

Sometimes Bridal Showers have a theme. IE Kitchen, Bathroom etc. Then of course you could get something that goes with that theme. You never have to get things from the registry. That is just a suggestion of things the couple wants and needs. You may come up with an idea that is even better that they hadn't thought of. My daughter gave her cousin a recipe box filled with recipes for a shower gift. Some where family related such as the stew you liked when you came for your last visit. Most had little notes attached that gave little stories or where the recipe originated from. This was one of her fav gifts and definitely not on her registry list.

like the web-site but you need 2 post pic's of the items!!!

I have actually been told that it is customary for the gift to cost at least as much as the meals cost for the guests in your family. However, it is really hard for a middle class person like me to afford a gift like that if the related bride and groom are paying $125.00 a plate! But anyways, I was told that that is the general rule for wedding gifts.

I just wanted to know if you can give me some tips on what to get the bride:)

By Juliana from Seattle, WA

Answers

If you have been invited to a shower or wedding you must know somebody that knows what they want or need.

Many years ago I had a craft magazine that showed how to make a mop bride. Does anyone have the instructions? I remember you use sponges in the hair for curlers and funnels for breasts. I can't remember much other, but I would love to make one of these for a dear friend getting married soon.

By Angie F.

My best friend is getting married and I want to make her something special. I want to make something for her from a piece of my veil. It has lace and bead work on it. I have thought of a hanky, but can't figure out how to do it. Any gift suggestions or ideas on the hanky?

By Sarah C.

I am looking for the instructions and the poem for making a bridal shower mop maid. I use to have both the poem and the instructions but have lost them. I am willing to buy the poem and the instructions.

By Patricia K