Brining a Turkey

Category Meat
A delicious way to prepare a tender turkey is to coat or soak it in a salty brine before cooking. This is a guide about brining a turkey.

Can you use a XXL size Ziploc bag to brine a medium size turkey in? I can't seem to find a large 5 gal. pot that will cover my turkey. I have also found some brining bags on Martha Stewart's website for $4 each. Have anyone tried those?

Answers

I'm not sure about the Ziplock brand (the XXL ones I have only say "not recommended for microwave use"). You may want to contact Ziplock about it.But the Hefty Jumbo (2.5 gallon) are for food storage also. I don't know if they make a larger size.

I've done this! You'll want to double bag xxl freezer bags or oven bags and set them in a large bowl in the fridge.

I don't have room in my fridge to brine a turkey, so I use a cooler. I put lots of ice chunks in and around the turkey and it stays nicely all night until ready to grill or bake. I make ice chunks in 3 pound tubs that I get margarine in. Or cottage cheese containers work also.

I've used the large ziploc. The only issue is that it will want to roll out of the fridge. Otherwise, worked great!