Buying a Used Wedding Dress

Category Dresses
White wedding dress on black dress form against white background
For the bride on a budget a used wedding dress option allows for buying the perfect dress for less. This is a guide about buying a used wedding dress.

I purchased my brand new Mori Lee Blu Line wedding dress on eBay for $185 including the shipping. The dress was being sold by a bridal shop that was clearing out unsold inventory. It is beautiful and fit me perfectly, without alterations. You may be unable to return it, unless the seller specifies that you can, so read the description very carefully.

By vm0611

Top Comment

I purchased my daughter's wedding dress on eBay too. It was a brand new Mori Lee, tags still on it, packed in a protective zippered bag, totally flawless w/ the matching wrap! It was originally priced at $685 and I snagged it for $119 grand total including shipping and insurance for shipping. I felt like I had hit the lotto!

Be sure to scan all the feedback, look at the location, see how professionally the listing is put together, watch for tale-tell signs of scam. Look at how long the seller has been an eBay member. See how many items they are currently listing too. Last, listen to your gut. If it is too good to be true it may well be. Fortunately for my daughter, her dream came true and she has the dress of her dreams.

Thrift Stores or Clearance Sections

Goodwill and Salvation Army often carry wedding dresses. Also, ask the local wedding places if they have any dresses on clearance. That's how I found mine for $100 at a wedding place and with alterations I needed, I only spent 350.00 but I also bought a veil and had my dress bustled in the back. Check your local papers too.

By imaqt1962

Rent It!

How about renting one, We think we need it forever but we really don't. I would look at second hand stores or goodwill. Do you have a friend who could embellish one if you find one that looks too plain? Good luck!

By Angelique

eBay

I would recommend looking at eBay if you are able to. You can find just about anything on there and you decide how much you want to pay!

By Natalie

ebay Want It Now Ad

eBay has a "want it now" department where you can post an ad for the wedding dress. If someone lists a dress in the size and color you want, they will e-mail you and let you know. You could also run an ad in a local newspaper or check with your local consignment shop.

By Mary

Thrift Stores

I would check your local thrift shops. I have one in my area that has a whole room of prom gowns, wedding dresses and other formal dresses even for the mother of the bride. It also has several accessories that you can use like veils, gloves, etc. Maybe your area has one like that. If not, I would check listings in my local paper. Sometimes there are ads for them. Another place to try would be a Freecycle group in your area. You can ask for exactly what you want and if there is any member who has what you want, it is absolutely free!

By maggiemay

Craigslist

Lots of people suggested going to Goodwill or eBay and I have one more suggestion - Craigslist! I have been looking for a dress for my upcoming wedding and lots of people in CA post their dresses on http://www.craigslist.com. The great part is the seller usually lives close enough to you that you can see the dress and try it on before buying it.

By Aja

Consignment Stores

No one has mentioned here that you can buy them at clothing consignment stores. My daughter bought her's there for $125.00. It's full length, very long train with lace sleeves, such detail. Just look in your yellow pages for consignment clothing and even drive to towns around your area if you need to searching. It's worth it to save that extra money. Most the time they have a section or rack geared just for the wedding needs from dresses to veils, gloves etc.

Most people who needed money fast sold them already to the consignment stores or have them there and get there 50% take when sold. Some of those stores even offer time payment plans so you can pay it off little by little if you are hurting for forking out your total money right then. And when you are finished with your dress on your special day, just resell it back to the consignment store. You will not get your full amount back you had to pay for it but you will have some money in your hand. Most often, the dress stays in the closet for years, never worn for any occasion. Besides, you'll have your photos to show of your beautiful day.

By theseamstress

For my daughter's wedding, we had to do it on a budget, in a big church. We found a beautiful dress at a consignment shop, but it needed sleeves. I found a local affordable seamstress and we had a beautiful finished product, for a fraction of the price of the dress originally.

By Glinda from KY