California Christmas Charities

Every year ThriftyFun gets numerous requests from people looking for help for their families for Christmas. Since we do not have the resources to offer direct help, we have set up this guide to help people find charities in each state. This is a guide about finding Christmas charities in California.

How do I get help with Christmas? We're having hard times, we're low income. I have 3 kids, a girl 12 and two boys 9 and 4. Thank you.

By Sherry from Turlock, CA

Answers

All areas have the Salvation Army, Toys For Tots, etc. If you can't get help, the situation should be explained to your kids and they could get by with one gift a piece. Also, there is a nationwide HELPLINE that has resources listed for all types of things. You could call them and ask about places to obtain help. The phone number is 211. You can usually find help in the phone book if you look. When most of these places are ready to take apps, they usually have it in the news. However, from what I have heard you do have to prove income. Just because you feel hard up, income guidelines might not feel that way. I used to work for a non-profit that helped senior citizens train for jobs, and there were income guidelines for that. You would be amazed how some seniors reacted when they found out they were over income, wondering how a couple could live off the maximum amount of income allowed. I would silently laugh because my daughter and I were living off half that amount.

Anonymous

Call your local Catholic Charities. If they can't help they definitely will guide you to the places that can.

Here's a link to Love, INC. It's a great charity and they have offices in every state. Contact one near you. They'll be happy to help!
http://www.love … -work/locations/

I am writing to tell you that in the future I would start in early November or late October looking for Christmas help. Some places require early sign up. Would hate for you or anyone to miss out on much needed help because they applied too late.

Charities that offer help during the holiday season in California. Please post feedback about any charities you may know about.

Editor's Note: Do NOT post here if you need help. ThriftyFun does not have resources to give direct help to those in need.