Carving Pumpkins for Halloween

It is pumpkin carving time, a few helpful tips and tricks can help make it a fun experience for all. This is a guide about carving pumpkins for Halloween.

Pumpkin decoration of my favorite subjects - cats!

Total Time: 1 hour

• 4 pumpkins
  • black tempera paint
  • knife for cutting pumpkins
  • tiny string lights
  • 8 toothpicks (2 for each ear) to hold on the cats ears

1. Carve out two cat faces, your choice of expressions and use the scraps and a toothpick to hold the ears in place.
  2. Carve out the insides of the two pumpkins.
  3. Ad

4. Paint all four pumpkins black.
  5. Let dry.
  6. Add tiny lights inside......ooooouuuu.... Happy Halloween everyone!

I just came across this website a minute ago and I wanted to share it with all of you! It's http://www.pumpkinpile.com/

They offer hundreds of downloads of pumpkin carving stencils and patterns for free! I just flipped through them, and I want all of them. I'm going to use a lot of these stencils for other art projects in the future. Go check them out! Have a fantastic Halloween! :)

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Each year my husband adds a couple of carvings to his collection. We light the pumpkins each evening during the month of October. I really wish all of you could bring your children and grandchildren by to see them.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Halloween has become a huge holiday. According to a survey conducted by the National Retail Federation, consumers spent $3.29 billion dollars on Halloween in 2005. Of that $3.29 billion, $840 million was spent on decorations-second only to Christmas in holiday home decor. Talk about frightening! Even with all newfangled lighting effects, fog machines and animatronics designed to create hair-raising effects, a carved pumpkin is still the best and least expensive way to create a haunting Halloween scene.

Here are some tips for selecting and carving the perfect Jack-O-Lantern.

Selecting the Perfect Pumpkins

Carving Tips and Tricks

Jack-O-Lantern Lighting

Keeping Pumpkins Fresh

Pumpkin As Planters

pumpkin centerpiece

Preparing and Freezing Pumpkin Meat

Roasting Seeds

Preparation: Wash the seeds well and stir with oil in bowl. Spread out in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle salt, garlic salt or Italian herbs on top if desired. Bake at 250 degrees F. until slightly brown, turning them over every half hour. When they're done, they'll be crunchy. Variations include soaking the seeds in butter, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce for 1 hour prior to roasting.

Free Pumpkin Carving Stencils

A quick search on the web will turn up lots of links for free carving stencils. Here are a few to get you started:

After you have carved your halloween Jack o'lantern light him up with a set of twinkle lights set inside. You can use the battery operated kind or cut a hole low in the back and run the cord thru to the outlet.

Think outside the box when crafting pumpkins. Note: this one is a fake pumpkin which lasts forever

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Halloween is right around the corner. This page contains some Jack O'Lantern carving tips and resources. Feel free to post your own tips.

Templates for dog breeds pumpkin carving for Autumn decorating can be printed and photocopy for the size that you want for the pumpkin to be carved with your favorite canine friend(s)

I felt a shock when touching a neighbor's pumpkin which used lights in the pumpkin. Caution is advised.

When using those pumpkin carving kits that poke holes for you to carve over, rub some flour over the holes to make them more visible to you.

Are you ready to carve those pumpkins? You may have already but with Halloween landing on a Sunday this year there is always time to do more. Here are some sites with lots of information on pumpkin carving:

Today's poll asks: Are you carving a pumpkin (or pumpkins) this year?

Feel free to post feedback about this poll below.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

First time carving a pumpkin, and I thought I'd done an awesome job! The next day, I brought my mom out to the front porch to brag about my masterpiece, and it was certainly nothing to brag about anymore.

By Alygator from Louisville, Ky

A pumpkin that sagged after being carved

Comment Like this photo? 4

This is the jack-o-lantern that I carved for my 8 month old son. It is a real pumpkin and was hand carved using only wood carving tools and a rotary tool. My family and I carved an additional 4 pumpkins the same way, each to reflect on the persons interests.

By Amy J from Oak Grove, KY

CoolPumpkins605x630.jpg

Dregan's First Pumpkin

Comment Like this photo? Yes

When we asked my 3 yr. old grandson how he wanted his jack-o-lantern's face to look, he told us he wanted an "Oh, no! pumpkin" and made the face. This is what it looks like. We carved the top opening zig-zag and we lifted it up, turned it a little and set it on top to look like a hat.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Carved pumpkin

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Here are two pumpkins carved by Aiden (7) and Avery (4). Aiden carved a killer robot and Avery carved a rabid mouse. We used stencils that we purchased for $3 at Fred Meyer and it made it super easy to carve something neat. Next year we will try to make our own stencils!

Happy Halloween!

Lewis

Carved and lighted pumpkins

Comment Like this photo? Yes

My favorite local diner has a customer that brings in an awesome Jack-o-lantern each year. The diner has a golf theme and so does the pumpkin. I love how detailed it is!

Comment Like this photo? 1

This scary pumpkin won a prize! He is pretty scary, huh.

By Jackie from Orlando, FL

Scary Pumpkin

Comment Like this photo? Yes

My son and I had so much fun with this. It was a little harder than we thought and both of us messed up our patterns but in the end it was the time spent together that I remember when I see these now.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Carved jack-o-lanterns only last a little while. You can extend the life of the lil'Critter by taping (double sided tape) black construction paper cut into eyes/nose/mouth shapes until just a day or two before Halloween. When ready to carve, just remove, and have fun : )

By Doggy from SA TX

Skip the Mask and Use Makeup Instead

Skip the mask this Halloween and use makeup instead. Masks are hot and uncomfortable and they limit kids vision. They also really scare the little kids. Use your cosmetics or Halloween make-up and everyone will be more comfortable and safer!

By Linda L from Vista, CA