Cat Keeps Scratching Healing Wound

My cat has a wound (from a previous infection) that he doesn't allow to heal. It's right under his ears so every time it's almost healed he scratches and gets the wound to bleed. I've tried 'Safe Skin' that helps to keep the wound dry, but it didn't help. My smart cat has found ways to get out of the cone. The paw covers do not work. His nails are clipped. My vet has only been asking me to keep the cone on, but it's impossible. I'm currently applying betadine cream on his wounds which he terribly hates.

What do I do?

I'd read on the earlier threads that as a scab begins to form it must be moistened and gotten off? To keep the area itch free? Coz like cats need to heal from inside. Is it true? Because I've noticed after a bath that every Sunday he doesn't begin scratching before like Thursday. So probably that's how long it takes for the scab to form. Should I wash off his ear area everyday to keep him from scratching? Should I let a scab form?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I would suggest keeping the scab moist and pliable. Coconut oil applied a few times a day may work.

Is there something you can put on the wound that is harmless but has an unpleasant taste or smell to the cat? That would keep him from interfering with the healing process.

I think I can use neem extracts. But he doesn't really lick it (coz he can't reach) so not sure if that'll help with his scratching problem. I'll try tho. Thank you

Get animal shampoo with oatmeal in it give the cat a bath with it and that should help

Sounds like perhaps he has the wrong sized cone. If it is too big, they do get out.

My first thought was, put some sort of bandage on. Then I went looking and found on this very site that someone dealt with this issue by putting an old sweater sleeve on the cat's healing area - this prevented the cat from scratching - http://www.thri … ing-a-Wound.html

This wound is in the hardest to heal area mainly because cats have a tendency to scratch anything that even gets near their ears.

I always wrap my cat in a towel while doing any kind of medication. It is important to have everything you will need ready in one place so you do not have to stop and start again.

I am a great believer in using Epsom Salt for any wound on my pets. Maybe you could think about trying a better healing remedy like this first.

But I believe you should also try using Rescue Remedy.
This info is from a veterinarians web site:
Rescue Remedy: This homeopathic remedy will take the edge off your cat's anxiety and restore his sense of balance and well-being. It causes no side effects and will not make your cat act or feel drugged. Put a couple of drops of the remedy on a fingertip and rub it into the fur on the top of your cat's head between his ears. You can do this several times a day for up to 6 weeks. Most health food stores sell Rescue Remedy.

Here are instructions for using Epsom Salt on a wound:

Use half a cup of Epsom salt with 3 cups of hot water and place a wash cloth in the water. Let the cloth sit in the water until it cools to just warm, wring it out, then wrap or lay it around the sore area. It may be hard to contain your kitty, so wrapping them in a towel while doing this and comforting them may help. Hold it in place for 5 to 10 minutes, and then pat the area dry.

I have same problem with my cat. She has had a cone on head and numerous visits to the vet. This has gone on for a year. She is torti, i adopted from rspca as a kitten. If you find solution that would help

what can I put instead of the cone on his sore that he will stop scraching