Charities to Help With Christmas

Category Charity
A girl being handed a gift on Christmas.
Christmas can be a hard time for low income families with children. This is a guide about charities to help with Christmas.

I have noticed many readers asking for monetary help with Christmas. Please don't think I'm being insensitive. 20 Years ago, I was that person too. There are several agencies that can help you. Please check with your local Salvation Army agency, they put on a toy program that you can sign up for. You get to choose some new and some gently used items along with clothing items too. Check with your local churches and food pantries. Public aid offices may be able to give you some guidance on programs. Our schools also know which families are have a bit more need than others. Food share programs and angel ministries can assist you with groceries. The local township supervisor or mayor can also help. I wish you all the best.

By Sara from Illinois

Editor's Note: Please DO NOT post requests for help in the feedback. ThriftyFun doesn't have resources to help the overwhelming need and the people who can help will never see the post.

Top Comment

I cant say enough good things about SHARE. It is for everyone regardless of their income. The food is good, generous and nutritious. You pay for it, but get far more than you would in the grocery store for that amount of money especially around holiday time. IN my area a college administrator, a college professor, and a church secretary all partake in the benefits of this program. I heartily recommend it.

I did a Google search under SHARE food program for my state.

warm regards,

Carol in PA

In most communities there are organizations that can help you give your kids what they need for the holidays. This guide is about Christmas charities for children.

Christmas Charities for Children

Read More... Was this helpful? 4

I am a single mom with a 13 year old son. I lost the extra income that I had coming in. Where can I find help to be able to give my son a Christmas this year?

By Kisha

Best Answer

Hi, Kisha. I agree with the other posters that there are probably numerous organizations in your community that will help you not only with toys and gifts but probably with food and other items too.

Also, check places like Freecycle and Craigslist for free items. However, years from now, he will probably not remember the gifts he got. He will remember that he was with you on Christmas and that you love him. That is the best gift you can give to a child. Good luck and god bless you and your son.

I need help badly for Christmas this year. Ccan anyone help me please? God bless you.

By Cathy

Best Answer

The Salvation Army usually provides some help. They do it different ways, different years. Call them and ask. There is Toys For Tots, however, they aren't all over. A lot of the places that help have combined forces and you have to apply in one location. Call 211, it is the number for an organization called Helpline. It is almost all across the nation.

What they do is keep a list of different places people can go for different kinds of help. Keep in mind when it comes to gifts most organizations don't help kids beyond 12 years of age, some even younger. The way I avoid needing help for Christmas is I start my shopping in January. I have been done for at least one month. I spend $20.00 on each of my adult kids and grand kids that range in age from 15-25. I also spend that on one really close aunt and cousin.

Also if I come across a $20.00 item that is on sale for $10-15.00, that counts as $20.00. You can also start stockpiling Christmas groceries early in the year. Also for gifts, your kids should understand times are hard, and be satisfied with gifts from dollar stores, and even sometimes you can find new or things that look like new at thrift stores. Next year start your shopping in January. No matter how young your kids are they should realize some areas of the home are off limits.

I am looking for help for Christmas for my 7 1/2 year old son?

By Wilma

Best Answer

You have probably passed the deadline for help from charities in your area. I know where I live the deadline has passed for all of them. These organizations have to know ahead of time so they know how to budget for every body that needs help. Doesn't your son's Dad send a gift to your son. Also there must be grandparents, aunts and uncles that will send gifts. You should be able to afford to buy one $5.00-10.00 item for your son. All any kid needs is one gift from their parents. Also speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy family in the congregation.

Where can I get help with Christmas for my kids this year?

By Tabitha

Best Answer

Call 211, it is a national clearing house that keeps a list of different orgazations that can help people with different things. The name of the organization is HELPLINE? Most of the charities that help with things like this have a cut off age level of 12 years. Speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a member of the congregation that needs help.

I was wondering how or where to get help for my family's Christmas presents this year?

By Sommer H.

Best Answer

No matter where you apply you will have to fill out an application and list your gross income. Most of the charities have a cut off age limit of 12 years for gifts. HELPLINE! is a national clearinghouse that keeps a list of organizations that help people in given areas. Also the Salvation Army does help people. Kids only need one present each, from their parents. Also don't the kids have grandparents and aunts and uncles that will be sending them gifts?

Speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes they will take up a special anonymous offering for a member of the congregation that has come upon hard times.

I need help this Christmas. Where can I find assistance?

By Samantha

Best Answer

Call 211, it is a nation wide clearing house that has a list of organizations that help people. However, there is a cut off age of 12 years for most organizations that help with gifts. Also call the Salvation Army, however, in a lot of places all of those different organizations band together into one, to provide Christmas help. I would need help at Christmas, if I didn't start my shopping in January. I have been done for at least a month.

I spend $20.00 on each of my adult kids and grandkids that range in age from 15-25. I also exchange gifts with an elderly aunt and a cousin, that I am really close to. If I find a $20.00 item on sale for $10-15.00 that is still counted as a $20.00 item. Everybody gets one gift. I also start buying groceries for the holidays durng the summer. It takes a little planning ahead to get by without begging for help. Also a lot of the non-profits that provide Christmas help, have a cut off age of 12 years for gifts. Kids don't need a lot of gifts and they don't need expensive gifts, do what you can. Also ask the pastor of your church if there is any way they can help.