Christmas Charities

I'm out of work. I was let go after 9 years of work. I am looking for help for my kids for Christmas. Any suggestions?

By Crystal


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

November 11, 20110 found this helpful

Call 211, it is a national HELPLINE organization, that keeps lists of organizations in a given area, that provide different types of help for people. Also call the Salvation Army, sometimes they do Christmas help, but it is getting kind of late to be applying for this type of help.

No matter where you ask for help, other than your church, you will have to fill out an application and it will ask for your gross income. Speak to your pastor, sometimes a pastor will have a special offering taken in church to help a needy family. How long have you been out of work? More than likely you could get a temp. job flipping burgers or something.

Also explain to your kids that there won't be much for Christmas this year. No kid needs more than one gift from the parents, and it doesn't have to be an expensive one. At this time $5.00 per gift is plenty. Your kids must have grandparents and aunts and uncles that will be sending gifts.


It also is a good idea to plan ahead. I start my shopping in January and have been done for at least a month. By doing that I get to avoid the monstrous crowds, and can space the shopping out.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 13, 20110 found this helpful

Check with Kmart, Walmart as they have trees set aside for these things. Also check Salvation Army they provide presents and food baskets for holiday meals. Check with social services as they also may have a list, local churches as well. Good luck and will keep you in prayer!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 14, 20110 found this helpful

It doesn't say where your from so I'm just going to go off the top off my head. As I've been there before with my children as they were young. They do expect Christmas (be it from you or else were)! Not sure of the ages either, but I would start with your Salvation Army nearest you, then your Toys 4 tots you can google that. Then I would even call your police station & ask them they might be doing something as they did where my daughter lives last year.


Then I would also call your elementary school they may be doing something as well. A few years ago I even found my 1 daughter in a very bad place & put an ad on craigs list under volunteer & asked for help & 2 people really came through for her. I live two far away & on a very limited budget & couldn't do much myself, But she really did get all she needed!

Please reach out their there really are some great unselfish great hearted loving out there you just really have too watch the info you give out about yourself& your# as well as your last name & address meet whom ever in a public place NEVER GIVE any personal information to anyone unless it is an organization that you are at! You can never be too safe!

Hope this help in some small kinda way & I will be praying for a job, and your family's Christmas as well. Not sure how this might help but there is a website called wish upon a hero you can try as well for a job financial & Christmas as well. Sorry just thought of it! May God bless you & your family in all your going through.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 15, 20110 found this helpful

Call 211, that is a nationwide help number. Whoever answers will get you in the right direction for help.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

November 26, 20110 found this helpful

I have 5 children 12, 11, 10, 21 months, and 3 weeks. I need help for Christmas. My husband hurt his back and we are having problems this year. I would appreciate any help for the children. Thank you and God bless you.

By Kristin


November 26, 20110 found this helpful

Is your husband on disability? It is getting a little late to be asking for this type of help. There is a national clearing house called HELPLINE! that is almost nationwide and they keep lists of organizations that provide different types of problems. Their phone number is 211.


You could also call the Salvation Army, they provide this type of help, however, they might have met the deadline for applications. No matter where you apply you will be expected to fill out an application and provide your gross income. Also most of the charities have an age cut off of 12 years. As far as that goes no kid needs more than one gift each from their parents. The three week old won't know if he/she gets a gift or not. The 21 month old would be satisfied if you wrapped a couple of his old toys, so that he would have something to tear the paper off.

I strongly suggest that you speak to your pastor, a lot of times a church will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. Also your kids must have grandparents, aunts and uncles that send gifts. There is also such a thing as planning ahead. I start my shopping in January.


That is the only way I have been able to avoid looking for Christmas help several times when my kids were young. They never got anything that was advertised on TV or with a designer label. Now I spend $20.00 each on each of my adult kids and four grandkids that range in age from 15-25. None of them have been raised to expect real expensive things.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...
Related Content
In This Guide
November 11, 2011
Christmas Ideas!
New Years Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2018/12/09 05:10:32 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!