Christmas Help for Children

My house has been robbed and now I have no money for my kids' Christmas. Their father isn't around. Does anyone know who can help me? I don't know how to explain it to my girls on Christmas

By Shawnita from Washington, DC

Did you report the robbery to the police? If you owned the house you should have had home owners insurance and I would think you could collect something on that, providing you have proof of the robbery. If it was a rented house, your renter's insurance should do the same thing. Most of the well known charities that are nationwide have a cut off date of mid-November for taking applications. This is done for budgeting purposes. Also most of them have age cut off limits of 12-13 years. Talk to your social worker with the Department of Social Services if you have one. That person might know of some sources. Also speak to your pastor, sometimes they will take up an anonymous collection to help a needy family in the congregation.

Do you have a court ordered child support order, if so their Dad should be paying regular child support, and if he isn't you could get him in trouble.