IndoorDecorations

Christmas Uses for Space Blankets

I thought of this last year after purchasing some thermal space blankets for my parents to keep in their cars. They live in the middle of nowhere and I always worry in case they break down in bad weather. I kept a few for myself.

For your benefit, I tacked it to my wall to show you the size of the ones I have and I might just leave it there! This year is exceptionally cold in Scotland and as you can see the blanket covers the whole of one door plus a good three-quarters of the door beside it. (And there's wall in-between!) Just outside the one door is a drafty back door. I'll put some tabs on either side so I can remove them when I need access.

It is recommended you keep foil blankets away from fire. Be careful with fairy lights near them. Mine are sized: Adult 150cm x 210cm. They say they are lightweight, compact and disposable.

Last year, I bought a large birthday gift and thought to wrap it with a space blanket. There was still a lot left over so you could even cover a bicycle with just one sheet!

Here are some Christmas uses:

• They do come in gold and silver and wrapped gifts look wonderful tied with a decorative bow. Cut one sheet into four squares to wrap four large presents.

• You could also use one cut in a circular shape to place under your Christmas tree to put your gifts on and, if your tree is real, to catch the dropping needles.

• Use one as a festive backdrop on a wall. Add a banner wishing everyone a great Christmas from your family. Stars, snowflakes and 2D baubles with glitter would add a nice touch. Print some festive pictures of family to your backdrop too.

• Use as a tablecloth, either on the dining table or to cover a buffet or drinks table.

• With a little double-sided tape, tack a sheet down in the hallway where people enter your home. A good place to leave wet boots and shoes.

I will be donating some extra blankets to the homeless.

Merry Christmas to all ThriftyFun friends!

Anonymous

Great ideas! Thanks so much for sharing.

This is a wonderful idea. Never thought of that for shutting off the back drafty door of my mobile home.

I'm pleased to have been some help! Keep warm and toasty. Merry Christmas, Monique :)