Christmas Yard Decoration Ideas and Photos

Category Outdoor
There are many ways to express your holiday spirit with creative yard decorations. This is a guide about Christmas yard decoration ideas and photos.

Use your garden shepherd hook to create a candy cane Christmas decoration! I had some silver tinsel like garland that I used on last year's tree and wrapped it around the shepherd hook from top to bottom. I then added a string of red Christmas lights, wrapping them around to look like the red stripes of the candy cane, adding another window decoration to hang on the hook. I used the ziploc ties to fasten the garland and lights to keep it all in place, but you could use bread ties. It looks great and have had many comments on it. It served as a no expense decoration and recycled older decorations

By Diane from Iowa City, IA

I had a scarecrow at the cemetery for fall. Instead of throwing it away, I made it into a Santa Claus for the holidays. Felt, a dollar Santa hat, and hot glue. Turned out very well.

By Charlene from Edgewood, MD

I didn't set up my Christmas tree this year, rather I added to the decorations that I bought last year, on sale at Target, to decorate my dogwood tree in the yard.

The candy canes and lollipops from last year held up well, so I decided to buy more of the plastic, shatterproof ornaments this year. The two larger ones were my indulgence. When I saw them at Lowe's I knew that I had to have them even though they were pricey.

I also split the contents of a large box purchased last year with my daughter and added them to my collection. Some of the ornaments came with silver cord hangers, for the rest I bought a spool of similar, elasticized cord from JoAnn Fabrics, using a 50% off coupon, of course :)

Next year perhaps I can add LED lights and more ornaments, of course then I will have to haul out the ladder to reach some of the upper branches. This time I used the hooked end of a shoe horn from Ikea to pull down a few of the upper ones.

I really like the beginnings of this decorating project, hope you do too.

This is a guide about homemade outdoor Christmas decorations. Outdoor Christmas decorations can be quite expensive. Making your own decorations can be fun and save you money.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

The photos were taken to show all of the Christmas theme decorations put up over the entire front yard this year. We decorate every year.

Most of our yard decorations are at least ten years old. We used to buy one major piece(s) every year until we got all the decorations we wanted. We have taken good care of them over the years being careful to store them properly We rarely replace anything, but the lights and light bulbs.

By Julia

Comment Like this photo? 5

Photo Description
Our church had this large chair sitting in the front of our church for a couple of months and they decided to discard it. We brought it home and put it in our front yard and I have it decorated for Christmas. I also put other items on it in the spring, summer, and fall. It is certainly a conversation piece among the people in the community. People will slow down as they drive by our home to look at the big chair. We've also had families to bring their children to our home and have their pictures taken in a big chair.

Comment Like this photo? 1

Here are my house decorations this year.

By Dorothy from Friedens, PA

Outdoor Christmas lights on house.

Comment Like this photo? Yes