Cleaning Rubber Shoe Soles

Category Shoes
No matter what color your rubber soles are, they can look much better when they are clean. This is a guide about cleaning rubber shoe soles.

In the winter months, when we have had rain or snow, there can be a lot of tracking in that has to be swept up. Mud gets caught in the grooves of the shoes and it's hard to remove once it dries.

I have found it helpful to have a pan, with a little water in it, sitting on the porch. While the dirt is still damp, I can dip the soles of my shoes in the water and get the mud and debris off easily.

After mowing grass, this method also works well for removing wet grass clippings from my shoes.

How do I clean and restore rubber around the soles of my shoes. I have not worn them for a while and the rubber on the sides has an almost white cast on it, similar to water marks.

I would like to restore the soft black look to the sides, the bottoms are okay. I tried several oils, but these did not help very much.

By cybergrannie from FL

I have used black permanent marker, and since the shoes were black, used black shoe polish on the shoes and over the permanent marker. So, marker and polish. Works just great. I hope your shoes aren't a light color, or fabric. You would need a steady hand in that case.