Cleaning Vinyl Floors

I have cream colored vinyl tiles on my kitchen floor. Despite regular cleaning, these tiles have gotten really dirty. I can see dirt and grime in the grooves. I have used ammonia (diluted with water), Pinesol, ivory dish liquid, etc. Nothing seems to work. Can someone suggest a safe cleaning solution? I have an infant in the house so I cant use too much of any harsh chemicals.

SB from PA

Answers

By tcmjem (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I use Goo Be Gone on the difficult areas. The Armstrong dealer told me to use SoftScrub which also works.

Best Answer

I have white, faux marble vinyl tiles in the foyer and in one of my bathrooms. The only thing that cleans this tile is Formula 409. Spray it on, let it set for about a minute, then mop it up with a damp mop. Up will come all that dirt and grime that was immoveable before. Works every time without fail, like magic.

Answer this Question

15 More Questions

I have ground in dirt on old kitchen vinyl flooring. I have tried ammonia and bleach, not at the same time. I got all the old wax build up off, but am left with streaks of cloudy gray ground in dirt. How do I get this floor clean?

By barbie from South TX

Answers

Best Answer

A bissell steam mop works well for this. I love mine. I got it at home depo for 60$

Answer this Question

I moved into a rental where the flooring hadn't been changed in over 25 years. I have tried different cleaning methods, but after they dry my floor feels slimy. I have tried rinsing with steaming hot water, but it's still slimy. I should also mention that I have 2 small dogs so I can not use anything harmful.

Any suggestions?

Answers

Try vinegar or baking soda. Mr. Clean eraser should work, too.

Apparently, vinyl oozes some sticky oil-type substance when it ages. This link provides some tips on how to clean it: "Vinyl is a popular material for many different types of products, but over time can tend to ooze an oily, sticky substance on the surface. Sometimes this sticky residue can be cleaned away with a simple cleaner and other times requires drying out the sticky substance first."

www.howtocleanstuff.net/.../

this other site recommends that you use ammonia to cut out the grease, and then clean it up again. This would only work of course if you let your dog stay somewhere else for a few days: www.doityourself.com/.../how-to-mop-vinyl-floors-without-leaving...

Answer this Question

This is a page about cleaning mold on vinyl flooring. Mold can grow on the underside of vinyl flooring or near the edges, often due to moisture.

Hand wearing pink glove scrubbing white vinyl floor with blue sponge.  Black bucket with green cloth in the background

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about cleaning white water stains on vinyl flooring. Standing water can leave unsightly white marks on your vinyl flooring.

Close up image of dog's water dish on wood plank vinyl flooring

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about restoring shine to vinyl flooring. Over time the shine on your vinyl flooring can get dull.

Kitchen With Vinyl Flooring

Vinyl flooring is a nice inexpensive, easy to install flooring option. However, it can get scuffed and scratched easily. This is a page about removing scuffs from vinyl floors.

Scuffed Vinyl Flooring

What do you use to clean a vinyl floor? I had a floor put down by Empire today, and I have no instructions. Does anyone know if Simple Green is too strong for cleaning it?

How do I remove built up dirt and Mop and Glow from a non wax floor?

How can I get the yellow traffic areas on a no wax floor back to white (the original color)?

How do I remove yellow build up from my vinyl floor?

Can you clean vinyl or non-waxed floors with vinegar? How much water and how much vinegar? Can you rinse with alcohol to make it shine?

I just moved into an old house and the kitchen floor is white speckled vinyl. It is old and very dirty. What is the strongest and best cleaning fluid? It would also be nice if I didn't have to rinse it.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

If you have vinyl floors and wish to make them look new and very-very shiny, as well as giving them protection and easier to wipe clean, do the following:

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsSeptember 27, 2016
👒
🐛
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Vinyl-Floors.html