Cleaning a Christening Dress?

I'm trying to get my daughter's baptism dress whiter. Please help.

By Karen from Melrose, MN

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 172 Posts
Best Answer

Yup, I agree with Bkvander, soak it in Oxyclean. My sister did one that was 70+ years old and it came out white as can be!

I am about to have my christening gown framed but I need to wash it first. It is 70 years old and yellow. I'm wondering what your sister's christening gown looks like now that she washed it in Oxyclean.

Thank you.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 107 Feedbacks

How about washing with Boraxo?

Soak it in Oxy Clean.

which oxyxlean? the powder and to what ratio of oxyclean to water. material is a little worn at the yellow stains. I need to be careful. thank you not on facebook or a thriftifun user.

First, I'd evaluate the conditions of the gown. If it was threadbare,worn moth holes. I'd try to repair,by darning,stitching by hand. Patching ( hope not ), checking for damage,loose threads. After making repairs,then cold water in the sink,with blue dawn dish washing liquid. About 3/4 cup of lemon juice,and 1/4cup white vinegar. Swoosh around gently, let soak for 30-45 minutes.

Check for whitening. If it looks pretty good, squeeze excess water and soap out. Leave cleaning mix in sink. Rinse gown in cold water. Squeeze out. Don't wring it out. May damage materials. Hang in sunshine to dry. The combination of lemon and sunshine is a great whitener. If it doesn't completely turn white,try putting in cleaning mixture. Repeat as in before.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryFebruary 7, 2011
🌻
👒
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-a-Christening-Dress.html